MacBook pro only shows question mark on screen upon start

Old 02-23-11, 04:40 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy MacBook pro only shows question mark on screen upon start

Hi everyone, thanks for reading this. My MacBookPro upon start, only goes as far as showing a fat question mark in the middle of the screen. Hard drive seems not to be working. Is this a hard drive or a motherboard issue? Is there a way to distinguish between the two of them? I could try a boot disk , but the CD unit seemed to be broken even before this happened. Thank you for any suggestions.

Old 02-25-11, 06:27 AM
B
read some posts that say if it's a question mark with a folder it cant find the system to boot. some said try reseating your drive . or could be the drive is bad. one option was to hold the alt key down while booting to get it to search all file locations (hdd ,cdrom, etc) for system. good luck

Old 02-26-11, 09:43 AM
Z
Couple things you can do, when you turn it on hold down the D key and it will load the hardware diagnostic tool. If that doesn't work you will need the OSX disc. Then hold down the D key.

You can also try booting from the install disc, click applications, go into utilities, click disk utility. Click the drive that you want and verify disk. And it will tell you if the HD is in need of repair or its something else.

I just went though this with my imac. When I booted there was a circle crossed out, sometimes it would boot. I verified disc and repaired it. But I still had HD issues so I went ahead and replaced the drive and hopefully you backed up your drive, if not do it now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: