Desktop warnings invasion?

Old 03-10-11, 12:09 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Desktop warnings invasion?

For a few days I started getting pop up type warnings about spyware, etc invading my computer. A couple of different programs were offered for about $80 to fix the problem.
These offers have now disappeared but my desktop is invaded by a blue background screen with thousands of little 0s and 1s. I can barely see my icons on the desktop. The screen has the following in bold red, ominous letters.

“Warning! You’re in danger. Your computer is infected with spyware.”

Then two more paragraphs of warnings in white lettering and finally it says,

“Secure yourself right now. Remove all spyware from your PC.”

My gut tells me this warning itself is a scam? Any ideas and does anybody know how I can get this invasion off my desktop?

Old 03-10-11, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Yes...its a complete scam....

Most can't be removed w/o going into safe mode w/networking and downloading something like Malwarebytes or MS Security Essentials or similar and running it. Sometimes its even harder.

What antivirus are you running now?

Old 03-10-11, 12:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
You have downloaded some crud. What are you running for an antivirus? Do you use Malwarebytes, or any other system cleaning tool? Can you download from the internet? One way to do it is to go to safe mode and then add/remove programs and go through the list and remove anything you don't recognize, then restart in normal mode.

I love duplicate minds

Old 03-11-11, 01:11 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem solved

I tried to download MS Security Essentials. Got to the end and the program could not install - there was some kind of problem. However, all the garbage was gone from my desktop. Go figure???????

Old 03-11-11, 03:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
The garbage must have seen the cavalry coming

Old 03-11-11, 05:06 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Also some web sites have ads that claim to detect malware and viruses. If you click on them they will run what seems to be an impressive scan. The scan is totally bogus. I occasionally click on them just for laughs. Invariably they find viruses on my C drive and malware in my registry. I have neither a C Drive or a registry.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: