upgrading pc

Old 03-18-11, 05:14 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
upgrading pc

i have an hp a6030n pc and i am about to add some upgrades, adding 4g from 2g (32bit system) ,new hard drive 1.5t,and a new graphics card. old one is integrated,putting in memory no brainer,the hard drive that im replacing is about starting to fail so i need some instructions as to replace it with new one and transfer that data to new one.(dont have recovery disc),can this be done,and finally the graphics card. do i just install card and then go into bios and disable the integrated one or disable first then add card .windows vista.

Old 03-19-11, 05:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 57 Posts
I think you'll find most drives will include software to do the transfer. Seagate, for instance, has a program called DiskWizard. Not sure about WD, but probably something similar. Basically you install the new drive as a second or slave drive and then run the software. Here's a sample of how it works:

How can I copy / transfer all the data from my old boot drive to my new Seagate drive?

As for the graphics card, power off, install card, and on next boot up access the bios setup and disable the on-board.

You've verified your motherboard will support 4gb of memory?

Old 03-19-11, 05:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 365 Votes on 316 Posts
I have used Seagate's Disk Wizard to clone many drives and it works without a hitch and is free. The drives do not need to be Seagate to clone.

If I remember correctly, 32bit Vista will not utilize 4Gb of RAM. (I did a little searching and the web confirms this) You may install it, but Vista 32 bit will just not use it all.

You may also have some issues with your BIOS seeing your entire 1.5TB drive. Their may be a update depending on the age of your HP.

Lastly, there is a TON of video cards out there. Make sure you choose one with the right slot to run the new card. If you go to a crazy fast card you might me looking to upgrade your power supply. Many of the newer cards require one or two, 6-8 pin power connections to the card itself. Lastly measure the space in your case to make sure the card will fit in your case.

Old 03-19-11, 08:52 AM
K
hd is wd sata,computer memory can install 4g but only 3 may be reconised.ill give it ago little later and let you know if ok or i messed up lol thanks guys. the hd doesnt have the little jumper is this still going to work

Old 03-19-11, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I can't find that the PC will support SATA? If it does, I don't think they use the jumpers for master and slave, not sure, never used one yet. I have an a600n and I know it has it on the MB I've just never used it yet.

Old 03-19-11, 03:03 PM
K
well installed the 4g and also left other 2g in it works,hard drive i have to get the data cable(just ordered it). installed graphics card that went a little pain installing but after graphics install computer rating went from 3.0 for gaming graphics and graphics to 5.3 for both. doing for kids to play their games on pc. do want to buy another gaming pc

Old 03-27-11, 03:57 AM
K
ment to say dont want to buy another gaming computer. received the cable ,installed it .well turns out the hd not good so sending back. ill let you know outcome when i get new hd

Old 04-06-11, 12:41 AM
H
To me it sounds like your computer is fairly old. If you are going to buy components why not go ahead and buy a new case and motherboard too? I did and I now have a much better system than I used to have. A motherboard that supports a quad core processor would be able to use 4 gigabytes of memory and maybe even more. Just be sure your memory matches the mother board and if unsure contact the manufacturer. Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: