PC upgrade - More cores or faster processor?

Old 03-21-11, 07:38 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PC upgrade - More cores or faster processor?

I am buying a new PC for my business. I will not be doing any gaming on it, but I do a lot of multi-tasking with many high memory-usage programs open at once (Acrobat, Photoshop, etc.). I will also be using Win 7 64-bit with 16 GB of memory.

In general, what is more effective for multi-tasking, a processor with more cores (i.e. six cores vs four cores) or a processor with a faster clock speed (something with 3.0+ GHZ)?

Old 03-21-11, 01:41 PM
M
If you aren't gaming, hands down more cores. Contrary to what most people think, computers actually DON'T multi-task (or at least not computers with a single signle core processor). They divide and prioritize their tasks and do only one operation at a time. Most of the time we perceive this as doing multiple things at once because it seems to happen at the same time.

That having been said, increasing the number of cores enables a processor to do more than one thing at a time!

16GB ram? That's going to be one sick rig.

by the way, some programs which are extremely memory intensive can actually use multiple cores for themselves which means lightning fast performance.

Old 03-21-11, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Old 03-21-11, 05:48 PM
M
If mobility is not one of your criterion, I would definitely go for a desktop. Here are a few of the biggest reasons a desktop (in my opinion) is more logical than a laptop:

1. cost - to get the same power from a laptop costs on average 3 times more
2. upgrade options - you will easily find upgrade options in the future for a desktop and most items on a laptop outside of hard disk and memory are not able to be changed anyhow
3. performance - a 3.0Ghz processor in a desktop will outperform the same chip in a laptop all day long and that is a fact not just my opinion - the reason? heat.

a laptop has much less ability to cool it's components than a well ventilated desktop tower. once pc circuitry gets hot, it doesn't put out anymore. That's why there are so many advanced desktop cooling systems.

I'm not saying laptops are bad news - I have 3 of them - I'm just advising that after an hour of use, you will be happier with a desktop.

If I may say so, for the purposes you are describing, 3.0ghz 6-core processor and 16gb ram sounds a bit like overkill. what's your budget?

Old 03-21-11, 06:30 PM
M
Thanks for the replies. It is a desktop system I will be purchasing. I've had my current Dell Dimension 2400 (Pentium 4, 2.20 GHz, 2 GB RAM) for about 4-5 years now and it's so overtaxed right now. It takes about 45 seconds just to open Outlook! It can barely run Illustrator and Photoshop.

Old 03-21-11, 06:37 PM
M
Moveright, my budget is in the $1,000 to $1,500 range. Costco actually has some CPUs (I don't need monitors) right in that range.

Costco - Computers - CPU Only

Old 03-21-11, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
Your registry is probably so corrupt. And other stuff too.

How big is the hard drive? How much do you have on it?

You have a good system there with the P4.

This is what I would do.

Clean install the OS. Yes I do it everycouple yrs. Make the computer like new.

Partition the drive you have for OS and for all storage.

Add a second drive and install all your working programs on that drive.

Heres a 500G for your computer $85. That should be enough.

WESTERN DIGITAL 500GB EIDE 100MB/s Hard Drive 16MB 7200 RPM 3.5IN Caviar Blue : Storage, Drives & Media | Dell

You memory is good enough at 2 g. I have a old dell 1000 with 512K (maxed out) memory and run office 2000 and visio programs with it.

Once you load your OP drive down more then 50% things run slow.

It dont say it in your manual but my 3000 has a slave cable to add a second drive. Even if you cant go for the bigger drive. Plus 7200 RMP. I think yours is 5400 rpm.

Then partition that. With XP you can do 4 partitions and 20 extended.

I would try this first. You will be out $80 and a days worth of time if it dont meet your needs.

Mike NJ

Old 03-21-11, 07:34 PM
M
Thanks Mike. I will try your suggestions. Even if I get a new desktop, I will keep my 2400 in use in the office.

The 2400 has a 250 GB HD that is about half full. So should I get a 500 GB HD and use that for the program files and use the 250 GB HD for my data? If I do that, would I still need to do the partitions?

Old 03-21-11, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator
You guys are spoiled...LOL

My biggest drive is on this laptop inspirion 1505. 80g. I have three partitions C: 8G operating system D: 16G programs E: 50G storage/working folders for video edit/pics/music.

My HD partitions are never more then 1/4 full. If they start getting full I burn to DVD or CD and store in a album. (I do pics and video edit)

If I need to reinstall XP I reinstall on the C partition. The others stay intact.

OK you got 250 and its half full? What do you have in there?

If you could add a HD to your unit so you have two then I would do something like this.

250 G

C: 125 GB / OS and programs
D: 125 GB / Additional programs

500 GB

E 125GB Pics

F 125GB Music

G125GB Video

H125GB Working folders for edit etc.

You can also buy a external HD and move most of your stuff off your current HD.

1TB for $129

Western Digital® My Book® Essential™ 1TB External Hard Drive-USB 3.0 | Staples®

Then partion that into 8 125G partitions.

Then partition your drive like I said above. It should only have the OS and programs.

It must take all day to defrag. When you partition its so much faster.

Oh and if you really want to get crazy add a 2TB network server. This way other computers can access their own files without going through your computer.

This is my next step.

Iomega 2TB StorCenter ix2-200 Network Storage | Staples®

I have 5 computers. (one for each family member..LOL) Not kidding. I am constantly cleaning files and making room for them. I go from this ones computer to that ones computer daily to fix stuff.

Hmm 2TB... I will give each family member thier own network drive of 250G. That leaves 1 TB for me. Geezzzz...I dont have that much stuff...

Mike NJ

Last edited by lawrosa; 03-21-11 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-23-11, 02:23 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
you think a 2TB server is crazy?? Don't come to my house.. I built a server that has 12TB worth of storage online in RAID5, (7x2TB, minus 1 drive for parity) plus two hot spares (in case a drive fails, a spare spins up and starts rebuilding automatically).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: