Can I back up Outlook emails to disc or some storage media?

Old 03-26-11, 04:54 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I back up Outlook emails to disc or some storage media?

I would like to save all of the emails in my Outlook inbox to disc or flashdrive. Can this be done? If so can you get me pointed in the right direction or to a link that explains it? thanks for all the help.

Old 03-26-11, 05:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Open Outlook, Click Edit, Select All, File, Import/Export, Export to a file, Outlook msg (.pst), insert medium (disk or thumb drive), save to medium.
I just gotta know.....why? My wife only has 3556 emails with 1700 unopened I was hoping she was the only one.

Old 03-26-11, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
If your talking Outlook express you can save only one at a time. Select the e mail/file/save as...And put where you want. To export in outlook express only saves to outlook or microsoft exchange.

I do this for online payments, when they send me a e mail reciept. Nothing is on paper anymore.

Mike NJ

Old 03-27-11, 05:13 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Lawrosa, Outlook Express messages can be archived, but not from within the program. Click Tools/Options/Maintenance/Store Folder and note the location. Close OE and navigate to the store folder. Copy & paste all of the files onto the backup media. You'll be saving a snapshot of the entire OE database as of that date & time.

Keep in mind that if you need to access a single email from any of those folders you'll have to backup the current snapshot, copy & paste everything from the archived backup to the store folder, save the items of interest, then restore the current snapshot. It's cumbersome, but it works perfectly.

Old 03-27-11, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Outlook Express messages can be archived, but not from within the program.
I do it from within the program. Select the e mail click file/save as... You can also just export to outlook if you have office and then export from there.

Mike NJ

Old 03-27-11, 01:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
OP was saying Outlook, not express. I don't know how to do it in express. Waiting on 180 seconds to expire...........dum, dum, dum, de, dum.....41 more........How long does it take to think and type?

Old 03-27-11, 05:52 PM
K
my wife has email downloaded to outlook on 2 different computers and I am wanting to get them all on just one. thanks

Old 03-27-11, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
I think you need to use just one application. Once downloaded to one computer it stays there.

Mike NJ

Old 03-28-11, 03:22 AM
Y
You can create a PST-File and store tons of mails in it. As far as I know you can also export PST-Files to an external medium but I'm not quite sure. But in generel if you don't want to lose all your settings and options in Outlook you should do a real backup. I'm using the lookeen backup manager for that.

Old 03-28-11, 07:18 AM
K
what is the lookeen backup manager?

Old 03-30-11, 03:28 AM
Y
@kmeyer301:
The lookeen backup manager is a tool which you can use to backup your Outlook. You can not only backup your mails but also your settings, your options....
You can also simply copy a complete Outlook profile which is very useful. I suggest you just go to the site Outlook Backup Manager and see for yourself

Old 03-30-11, 06:01 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lawrosa View Post
I do it from within the program. Select the e mail click file/save as... You can also just export to outlook if you have office and then export from there.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you can't export more than one at a time from within the program? Archiving the entire database using the method I described backs up everything. Copy & paste the .wab file and you'll also have an archive of the address book. You can also export account info from the Tools/Accounts tab.

Also in the Tools/Accounts tab is an option to leave all messages on the server so they can be accessed by more than one computer, and an option to delete them from the server when they are removed from the Deleted Items folder.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: