Using old Win XP drive externally with windows 7

Old 04-05-11, 12:19 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Using old Win XP drive externally with windows 7

Hi I don't know if anyone has every come up with this particular thing but I thought I should ask before jumping into something I haven't done before.
My old Windows XP desktop has died almost completely on me. I can't really say for sure what is wrong with it as it might have multiple problems. I noticed a while back that my computer was running very slowly so I thought maybe I should back everything up and I am glad I did as other things started to happen. The computer would boot and then re-start over and over again and before that it had been saying that there was something wrong with the cpu and I know that isn't the case as I even replaced it. Now it has failed to recognize the Agp card on occasion and this is just another new wrinkle. So knowing how bad this computer was I went ahead and built my own computer for the first time as I just couldn't find what I wanted pre-made. I didn't want fancy just your basic computer that would run things. So I bought Windows 7 Professional as I heard that had compatibility for some of my older programs which seems to be true so far. Now though I am wondering can I use the old hard drive externally in a drive enclosure and maybe get my favorites from internet explorer off of it as I didn't think to do that in backing up other things. While I don't think so there may be other things too on it I want on that hard drive too like word processing documents etc. I found a fairly cheap enclosure so price is not an issue if the hard drive is bad but is it even worth it? Most bad hard drive issues I have come across in the past the drive would make a great deal of noise and then just die completely leaving you with absolutely no access. This does go to windows start up now but goes no further so could it be the motherboard is just bad as I have been suspecting that that was the case all along or maybe a great deal of things have gone bad including the hard drive? Any thoughts on this would certainly save me extra money. Thanks for your help in advance.

Old 04-05-11, 02:57 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You should be able to use an external drive bay with the new box. After you pull what you need from the drive you can run a full diagnostic on it. If it checks out, format it and use it as a backup drive.

Old 04-05-11, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
I might add, you also could be able after shutting down your computer to just open up your box and connect the old hard drive to the motherboard.
You don't say exactly what you have but if your new computer uses serial ata drives there is often an ide connector on the board.

I was able on the computer I just built to install two new serial hd's and install my old ide drive in another slot to transfer data.

What motherboard do you have?

Old 04-05-11, 03:10 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds to me like both of you think the hard drive might be worth saving. Maybe so it is just hard to say. What about the Windows XP stuff on it though would Windows 7 be able to read it or do you think it is hopeless? I really do have some fairly good stuff on it so I don't want to lose it. As for putting another hard drive in my computer I think I want to stick with just new things in my computer. The drive I bought was off of ebay and had been used before. I have had it and the old desktop I also bought used for about seven years so I am not unhappy about that even if I can never use any of the old desktop again. My new build is an MSI 785GTM-E45 with a quad core phenom AMD processor and either three or four SATA connectors I forget now and quite a few usb connectors internally and an hdmi connector so I could in theory use it with a tv set. Just as an aside to my already posted question has anbody ever used their new computer with a high definition tv and how has it worked? Thanks for your help! Oops almost forgot it does have an eide connector too although I may never use it and a connector for a disk drive and again I may never use it as I have an external drive already for that. Again thanks again!

Old 04-05-11, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
I wasn't suggesting you hook up the old drive to your new computer to save it.
I meant only as a way of getting the data off it without having to get a case for it.

My thought on old hard drives is that if you have had a few years of good service out of it just take the data off of it then junk it.
It is a fast moving mechanical device and most definitely wears out.
Hard drives are not that expensive and the pain and hassle when one crashes makes the cost of a new drive well worth it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: