need your expertise on creating a battery powered display

Old 04-18-11, 12:42 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Arrow need your expertise on creating a battery powered display

hi, i am starting a little project and need some information. i am wondering if you could help me out or can lead me to the right source, i have tried google. my question is, are there are any way of hooking up a mini usb camera to say any lcd display? what would i need to make it small and light weight. is this all the three things i would need? battery, lcd screen, camera? thanks.

Old 04-18-11, 03:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! School's in, I can tell. Finals are around the corner. A small USB camera can be directly plugged into most any USB adaptable display. I don't think the question went deep enough.

Old 04-18-11, 02:57 PM
D
hi, thanks for replying chandler. the project i have in mind is so custom that i would probably need to know the basic or enough to make a AA powered camera and hook it up to any display. think it as a brain or a bridge between a usb camera and any thin display. one of the criteria is that it have to be efficient on battery because i need it to last for 1 week so if removing color from lcd will save some battery life than that is what i will need to do. other feature i would want to help increase the battery performance is a option to put it on "low mode" and the box need to be as small and portable as possible. i have some experience building computer so i am pretty good with my hand. are there any cheap solution to the end goal like opening and using existing technology? hope this is good enough to get the overall idea and not too hard.

Old 04-19-11, 03:38 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The USB spec says it must provide 5 volts DC at up to 500 milliamps. The camera probably draws less than that, but you need to check the camera's power needs in milliamps or watts and choose a battery that will provide the required power for a week. The USB also does not provide analog video outputs, so the LCD screen needs to be able to receive the camera's data from the USB connection. Many LCD screens require 12 volts DC, and you need to include the screen's power consumption in your battery calculations. A voltage regulator connected to the 12-volt battery can provide 5VDC for the camera.

I know one thing: This isn't going to run for a week on a few AA batteries.

Old 04-19-11, 12:39 PM
D
alright now i have some information on where to look and at this point i am more concern on getting it started and we can make it battery efficient later on. some of the thing i have bought are a 4xAA(4.8v-6v) usb output box as well as a usb camera. thinking of picking up a nintendo DS screen but can't find a suitable pcb to connect the ribbon cable and bringing it all together and would i need a micro processor to do real time at a decent fps?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: