Something Strange Happening to my Computer

Old 04-19-11, 07:01 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Something Strange Happening to my Computer

I have a HP-computer, about three months old. My wife has a laptop that is fed from a "router" and she uses it in another room in the home. The router is a CISCO --Linksys.
I was looking for something and in the "Web History", I found several web sites,---Body Building, and a few more sites, that neither of us had been to.
This seems impossible, but there has to be an explaination. None of these sites, that I checked, are offensive.
Could someone be "tapping" service through my wireless router?

Old 04-19-11, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 178 Votes on 144 Posts
Unlikely, but maybe depends on the router. Is it a new one or old one? I use a Linksys wireless N and I have to put in a security key before a computer could connect to it.

Old 04-19-11, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
AFAIK Unless you are connecting through your computer (sharing the connection?), anything in web history is from browsing done on your PC, not from someone using your signal.
Could be as simple as an ad that was on a page you looked at maybe? Anyone else EVER have access to it?

You should have at least minimum protection enabled, to stop random people from hopping on your connection.

Old 04-19-11, 08:19 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If it's in your machine's Web History it was someone using the computer. It has nothing to do with the router or home networking issues.

Old 04-19-11, 08:42 PM
P
these could also be re-directs or"pop ups" I am a professional digital forensic analyst. Many times you see a pop up ad and close it out with out much attention to it. this may appear as a "visited site' IN MSIE cache.

Last edited by patriot1; 04-19-11 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-19-11, 08:47 PM
G
Thanks---That could very well be the case.
Originally Posted by patriot1 View Post
these could also be re-directs or"pop ups" I am a professional digital forensic analyst. Many times you see a pop up ad and close it out with out much attention to it. this may appear as a "visited site' IN MSIE cache.

Old 04-19-11, 09:14 PM
D
do you have security enabled in the router for the wireless?

Old 04-20-11, 03:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Wouldn't matter. As stated the "history" is contained in the computer itself, not from some extraneous location. I believe Patriot has the clue, as I have seen it happen, too. Dumping the cache and history doesn't hurt, occasionally.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: