Wireless Adaptor 'G' make Win.7 slow to open Home-Page?

Old 05-01-11, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wireless Adaptor 'G' make Win.7 slow to open Home-Page?

Hi:
Windows 7 with Belkins wireless Adaptor 'G'
Windows 7 is pretty quick to open, however an icon of wireless-connection at the bottom right has 'yellow quatation mark' and I need to wait to open Home-Page until yellowish mark on an icon of wireless cleared-up.

On XP with the same adaptor, that never occurs and Home-Page is quick to open. I never seen 'yellowish-quotation mark' at the wireless-icon at the right bottom.

I did uninstall the adaptor by accessing Device Manager and re-installed it upon re-started the PC.
Even I did install Windows Update, however nothing helped to resolve the issue.

My questin is;
Since the Belkins Adaptor 'G' version has no issue with XP, wonder whether 'G' version of Adaptor is incompatible to Windows 7?

In my preference, I want to use 'N' version which is said to be 'fast' while 'G' version is slow, however some saying that my ISP, Comcast does prefer its customer to use 'G' version for its cost-concience reason.

Any imputs would be truly appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 05-01-11, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 321 Likes on 255 Posts
I use Linksys, but I had to upgrade to the N when I went to Win7. But, I was having problems with my old router anyway.
As far as Comcast, who cares what they want you to use? It's your computer and Comcast isn't free. Altho I don't know where you heard this from, as that sounds more like an urban legend. Does it say this on their website?

Old 05-01-11, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the quick response.

I just forgot to mention Rouer/Modem combo. that is 'G' version leased from my ISP, Comcast.

When we started to subscribe Comcast about ten years ago, the Comcast tech. came to the house and installed Router/Modem combo. for that we are still at lease and paying every month for.

Since the Router/Combo is 'G' version, the Adaptors need to be compatible to the Modem/Route? I don't want to get it confused after putting 'N' version of Adaptor. Besides, due to a switch from 'G' to 'N' adaptor, my concern is whether whole family/every PCs get 'total blackout.'

I'm guessing that I can not use 'N' version of Adaptor because of 'dianasour' version of Router/Modem combo./'G' version?

Any ideas on this, .... ?

Old 05-01-11, 11:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The modem, no matter whose it is only modulates and demodulates the signal. After that signal goes to the router is it yours to control. As long as your computer is compatible with the N router, it should be fine. If the router Comcast "furnished" you is separate from the modem, use what you want to.

Old 05-01-11, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 321 Likes on 255 Posts
Have you contacted Comcast recently to question them? Maybe they're using N models now. 10 years is a long time and I can't see them not keeping up with the Jone's, you know?

Old 05-27-11, 04:17 PM
H
I agree you really should call Comcast to see if there are better routers for you. I too think that they really should have better routers by now. The G type routers haven't been used too much lately as they are much slower. If Comcast gives you a hard time depending on where you live you could always go with Verizon Fios. Fios offers the same service as Comcast and they are fairly comparable in price. This too sounds like you are using a laptop and if not then I would connect directly to your service using an ethernet card that you can install into your desktop, much better and faster a connection that way if possible. If not then buy yourself a wireless N adapter and install it. As someone else said who cares what Comcast wants it is your computer after all. Good luck to you and keep us informed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: