Installing XP on Vista Machine

Old 05-25-11, 01:52 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing XP on Vista Machine

Hi,

I'd like to "upgrade" my daughter's Acer laptop that is currently running Vista, with XP. Can I use the XP install DVD from an old HP computer that says, "for distribution only with a new HP or Compaq PC" or should I get a generic XP install disk?

Thanks,

David

Old 05-25-11, 02:01 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
If it's already running Vista, what about going to 7 instead of XP?

Old 05-25-11, 02:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 57 Posts
I second Mitch; recently did that to daughter's Toshiba partially to fix a recurring BSOD gremlin, but also because we had a free upgrade disk. Anyway, I don't think you can use an HP recovery disk to install on the Acer.

Old 05-25-11, 04:13 PM
N
Tow,

I don't think it's an XP recovery disk, it says Microsoft Windows XP Operating System DVD (unless that's what you mean by recovery disk). I hear you regarding HP. I won't be doing the Acer laptop any favors by trying to install HP utilities, etc. This was my reason for asking in the first place.

Mitch and Tow,
As for installing Windows 7 instead...
a) I'm trying to do this on the cheap. Win 7 will cost $$$, while XP is free in theory.
b) I've heard/read enough complaints about Win 7 that makes me a little leery. XP is the devil that I know. I'm not looking for a new set of headaches and besides (referring back to point a)), doesn't Microsoft have enough money already?

David

Old 05-25-11, 04:45 PM
Group Moderator
I confess I hung on to XP for a long time (almost as long as I hung on to Win98). I upgraded to Win7 when I had a major hardware crash otherwise I might still have XP. Known devil, as you say. That being said I have had essentially "0" issues with Win7 either on my desktop (clean install) or my daughter's laptop (Vista upgrade). I don't know if we're talking the same animal as far as the XP disks, but at any rate I think there are gremlins built in to prevent you from using one company's disk in another's machine, although they are both XP (or whatever).

And yes, I was not really happy about the $$$ I had to shell out for Win7.

Old 05-25-11, 05:11 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
When I bought my (used) laptop it came with a H-P branded XP Pro disc. I, too, thought why not try it on a different computer. My tower had XP home that I had corrupted so I did a clean install from the H-P disc. (My tower is a Compaq.) It did take BUT I also got a pop-up that it was an unauthorized version and would cease operation in 30 days if I didn't go to a specified Microsoft website and follow the instructions.

End result is that I got it taken care of AND got a new XP disc for the grand sum of $130 (if I remember correctly) and I have since reloaded from that disc at least twice with no problem.

So to answer the question...OS discs included with computers ARE branded to that specific computer and trying to load onto a different computer WILL cause problems. There are some other workarounds in case of a major hardware replacement on the original computer but they require calling Microsoft and getting some kind of new code. However, since XP is (as far as I know) no longer supported for new installations you may be SOL.

Old 05-25-11, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
That was probably worth a go at any rate with Compaq being an HP product. I wouldn't have been surprised if it installed without problems. I've done some workarounds with XP install disks before involving license keys from salvaged machines, but that was with generic disks that didn't care what you were plugging them into.

I don't know how far down the road XP will be non-supported, but it may be a while due to the number of machines still running it (and the co$t of Win7 ). Don't think I've seen that issue talked about anywhere.

If you want a real challenge, I've got an old Win95 install disk kicking around.....

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 05-25-11 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-25-11, 05:40 PM
N
Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like installing my HP-XP on the Acer is a no-go. I'm going to see if I can find a generic version of XP rather than going to Windows 7. Hello ebay...

David

Old 05-25-11, 06:31 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Or you could install Linux and never have to worry about viruses or malware or paying for an operating system or software.

You can go to Http://PCLinuxOs.com, download an ISO, burn it to disk, and try it without even installing.

Old 05-27-11, 09:15 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Your computer, your call but I've been running Windows 7 since 2009 and would not go back to XP

Old 05-29-11, 01:25 PM
B
What's wrong with keeping Vista. All the problems with Vista have been solved with the updates and service packs from Microsoft. Vista is also more secure than XP. Going from Vista to XP is a downgrade IMO.

Old 05-30-11, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 363 Votes on 315 Posts
64 bit Upgrade version of Win 7 is only about $100.

Old 05-30-11, 06:31 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I also was very apprehensive about upgrading to 7 after making the Vista mistake (and subsequently rolling back to XP, cursing the money I had wasted on Vista). But I bought a new laptop which came with 7 preinstalled, and I can say that it performs nearly perfectly. It gave me the comfort level I needed to upgrade the rest of my computers to 7, and I too have finally left XP behind. I do have a random BSOD now and then on the laptop, but I chalk that up to a failing hard drive (it is starting to make odd noises) from it being dropped a couple times. I have an SSD hard drive on order to replace it.

The only thing about 7 is that it definitely needs plenty of RAM. It was very sluggish in my oldest machine (P4 2GHz with 512MB RAM) until I upgraded to 2GB (the max the motherboard will handle). Now it runs like a champ and I can probably squeeze a few more years out of it. Also if you have a 64bit system, you *might* run into problems with driver (un)availability for older peripherals. Even the oldest stuff has drivers that will work in 7 /32 bit but will be unrecognized on a 64 bit machine (I had an old USB capture card that I bought in 1996 [Windows 95/OSR2!] that installed flawlessly under 7/32 but refused to install on my 7/64 laptop. It is simply because there are no 64 bit drivers available.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: