Sharing internet

Old 05-26-11, 04:04 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sharing internet

I have two computers, one has a wireless router in it and the other doesn't. What I would like to do is connect the two together so that I can use Internet on both. My Internet connection however is wifi. If you can help on this it would be a big help to me.

Thank you,
niceguy4u36

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-11, 06:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 207 Votes on 184 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem as you have a some options. First off, I doubt your computer has a router in it, at least I have not seen this. Computers have a NIC (Network interface card) This could be wired (RJ45), or wireless, which is in your case.
You say that you have Wifi for your ISP. I'm guessing that this is put up for the city or something like that. I have not done this but I would be willing to bet that you can configure a wireless router to connect to your Wifi ISP. You would just need to set the IP addresses and gateways and such.

Internet----->wireless router------->(router port 1) wireless computer----->(router port 2) non wireless computer

Another option is to use the computer that is connecting to the internet now as the router. In windows search look up "setting up a home network" The computer that does not have a wireless card will just connect directly to the computer connected to the internet with a crossover cable or place a router or switch and you have your home network. The only thing I don't like about this is there is no firewall in place before the wireless computer like you get with a router.

Internet-------->Wireless computer--------> (Uplink)router or switch -------> Non wireless computer