phone line

Old 06-05-11, 11:49 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
phone line

replaced tower & now can't seem to get connected back to internet service which is dial up.The only problem i see is the port connection for phone line is not the same as old tower.The one i have now has the ethernet connection & the other tower had the regular phone line connection.I have contacted my service & everything is ok they say but still can not connect.Keeps saying something about no connection. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-06-11, 01:51 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If al you have is an ethernet port, then the new tower does not have a dialup modem in it. A network port is not a modem and can not be used for dialup (in fact, you could damage the network card by plugging a phone line into it). You will either have to install one or else you will have to dump the dialup and go broadband.

Old 06-06-11, 03:24 AM
V
not to worry tho, you have USB ports, and you can install it fairly easily. shop with this phrase "usb dial-up modem" you should be able to locate one for under 15 dollars, including shipping. try e-bay "buy it now" items.

you can damage your Ethernet port if you plug a phone line into it. specifically because your phone has an electric current that could fry your Ethernet card and your computer. it's better to buy a usb modem like that because, often, a storm will take down dial-up modems, because most people do not run the phone line they use to plug in to their modem, through a surge protector.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: