sound

Old 01-01-01, 08:26 PM
al valdez
Visiting Guest
I have had my computer for approx. 6 months and have windows 98. My son came over and tried to play a cd and had no sound. He tells me that it is possible that i do not have a sound card installed. How can i check this . and if i don't have one, how can i go about installing one. i am pretty new at this. thanks for your help. Al

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-01, 02:21 AM
look at the back of your computer , you should be able to see the connections for the sound card if there is one. The connections wgich are all close together are speakers out/line out, microphone inport, line in, and a joystick/midi connector. If you have a joystick attached, check the connections beside it, usually the joystick connector is part of the sound card.

You could also click on your start button, settings, control panel, system icon, system device tab, stroll down to the heading SOUND, VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS, see what is listed under thios heading, if there is a sound card listed and there is no question mark, or explaimation mark, then it usaully means one exists but mmay not have any speakers looked to it. If it does not, it may mean it doesn't exist or doesn't have a driver installed. If there is a question mark or explaimation mark, it usually means that the driver is not installed or the wrong driver is installed.

To install a sound card , you can buy them anywhere from
$ 20 (or under) to the more expensive ones, unless you are a audio nut , the cheap one will do you ok, open up the computer box (shut down the computer first) , oh get a PCI card if you have an available PCI slot in the computer, you can get PCI or ISA cards, I prefer PCI whenever possible, PCI is the shorter slot. Remove the casing tab where you have an available slot, insert the card into the available slot, put the screw in the retaining tab. attached the audio wire from the cd rom to the sound card. Close up the computer box. attached the speaker sin the appropriate connector on the sound card. Boot up the computer , chances are that most plug and play computers will detect the sound card automaticly, use the floppy or cd rom that came with the sound card to install the drivers. If you have a problem check back , i will provide further assistence.

Old 01-03-01, 03:13 PM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
You could also be missing the audio cable that connects
the CD-rom to the sound card, or it could have been disconnected. Play a CD, and listen through the earphone jack on the CD-rom drive. If there is sound there, your CD drive is OK.

Old 01-03-01, 04:35 PM
I short assumed that you meant that there was no sound period. If there is sound when playing mp3 or the microsoft sound when you start the computer, then there is a sound start. To think that it is possible that is no sound card as was stated, to me means that there is no speakers attached to your computer. And was reply in a previous post went on that premese . For you to get sound when playing a regular music cd, you must have...

1. a sound card installed in your computer, with the proper drivers installed. Note that some motherboards have sound built into them, while many others do not, and you get sound from those with the addition of a sound card.

2. speakers must be attached and connected to the proper plug on the back of the sound card.

3. an audio cable must be connected between the cd rom and the appropriate pin connector on the sound card.

4. The sound card properties/controls must not be muted and the master and cd audio pots/controls (software driver controls) must be up.

this is all assuming there is no problems with the sound card or cd rom audio outputs.