No COM ports listed in Device Manager Windows 7

Old 06-20-11, 05:22 PM
No COM ports listed in Device Manager Windows 7

Alot of installed hardware I see for work STILL uses RS232 via a serial port.
New Toshiba laptop (L655-D) has no serial port, as most do not any more.
I have secured numerous USB-Serial adaptor cables but cannot for the life of me find the "Ports" in Device manager to configure and use for RS232 control.

Anyone know where to look or how to configure?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-11, 05:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If there are no COM ports installed, the PORTS (COM & LPT) tree doesn't show up. You have to install the proper drivers for your particular adapter in order for it to work. These adapters aren't like the old serial port cards that just show up. They are still USB devices and need drivers installed to be recognized. Once the adapter is recognized, Windows will assign it a virtual COM port (usually COM7).

Old 06-21-11, 04:29 AM
Even then it's a crap shoot whether the USB->DB9 will work with your proprietary hardware. Our legacy nurse call systems, for example, are very finicky.

I tried several USB/com adapters. None worked. I finally found a docking station with a DB9 that worked. (And fortunately, I didn't return the old reliable XP laptop when I got the new one.)

Old 06-22-11, 08:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Nah this isn't proprietary, it's an off the shelf Toshiba. The same one I'm using as a matter of fact.. Proprietary hardware is actually becoming rare in most industries, as it is now much more cost effective to use mainstream hardware with proprietary software running on Windows.

The main issue I've seen is with the adapters that use a USB/UART chip made by a company called Huge Pine. It's apparently used in quite a few of them - mainly the cheap (under $30) ones you find on ebay - and its drivers have all sorts of beef with Windows (especially 64 bit systems, which is what this laptop is).

Old 06-23-11, 03:14 AM
Matt, I wasn't talking about the machine being proprietary. It's the equipment that has to talk to the machine that's proprietary. In our case it's hardware that could be 10 or 20 years old. The newest system uses IP, but the legacy systems all use RS232.

Old 07-01-11, 07:51 PM
Was able to download/install drivers for 3 of my adaptors (USB to DB9). It IS still a crap-shoot because NONE of them will allow communication with serial-controlled hardware at work. GrrRrRrRrrRrRrRrrRrRRRRRRR................

The driver installs did allow "Ports" to show up in the device manager tree. Thanks to all.....