Duplicate HP Printer Installations

Old 06-27-11, 04:34 PM
M
Received 16 Votes on 11 Posts
Duplicate HP Printer Installations

I have a HP photosmart C309g printer and for some reason the HP Solution Center software I'm using shows two identical printers installed, one of which shows an error. I am able to select the other (working) printer and everything is fine, I'm just not able to get rid of the erroneous one. I tried uninstalling it through the control panel, which I am able to do, but it keeps coming back automatically. I suppose the easiest thing to do would be to reinstall the software, but I would like to know why this is happening. Also, if someone could explain to me why HP ink gets used so fast and why it is so expensive, I'd like to hear it.

Old 06-27-11, 06:17 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It may be a bug in the software or the printer was plugged into the computer before the software was installed. The first thing I would do is uninstall the printer, unplug the printer from the USB port, then uninstall the software completely, then reinstall the software (do not plug the printer in until the software tells you to).

As for the ink, well, it's an HP inkjet.. That's why it's expensive. The only one worse is Epson (but I love Epson printers and would never buy another brand again). The best I can tell you is to buy generic cartridges. You are lucky in that this printer uses separate cartridge for each color, so you aren't throwing away a half full magenta tank because yellow is empty. But generic ink is very closely formulated to OEM, so the printing results are nearly identical. And don't worry about voiding your warranty because they aren't allowed to do that.

If you do a lot of printing (more than 500 pages or two sets of cartridges per month), I would recommend a Continuous Ink System. This is a set of external bulk ink reservoirs that connect to the print head via a set of microtubes and use ink that you buy by the quart or gallon. They are very effective and even though they are a bit expensive, the cost per page drops dramatically. Basically by the time you've used all the ink that comes with the CIS unit, it has paid for itself. Then any ink you buy in bulk is savings.

Old 06-28-11, 09:55 AM
M
Received 16 Votes on 11 Posts
Awesome. Thanks. I'll look into it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: