start up is very slow.

Old 01-02-01, 07:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

I have an amd 400 cpu with 192 mb of ram. As of about 4 days ago my computer has started taking a very long time to start. It takes about 5 minutes between the time I start it until it loads completely. It seems to be taking about twice as long as usual.

I would appreciate any advise.

Thank you,

mandel74

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-01, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by mandel74
I have an amd 400 cpu with 192 mb of ram. As of about 4 days ago my computer has started taking a very long time to start. It takes about 5 minutes between the time I start it until it loads completely. It seems to be taking about twice as long as usual.

I would appreciate any advise.

Thank you,

mandel74
is there anything you have done or installed between the time is was booting ok to the time it is booting excessively long. Any new cards added ? Any new software installed ? New driver installed ? Does the computer perform well once it finially does boots up ?
Did you change any settings in the control panel ? Were you receiving email just before this happened ? And have you done a full system virus scan with a good up-to-date virus program ? Internet by modem or high speed DSL or cable ?

Try to answer these and will come back to repost reply.

Old 01-03-01, 04:08 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
mandel74, Also might help if we had the Windows version you are running....Mike

Old 01-03-01, 11:06 AM
Thank you for your reply,
I am running windows ME. The computer runs well once it has booted.
I added some memory. I had two 64 mb chips and added one 128 mb chip. I changed the bios so that it auto reads memory. The 3 chip are showing up but it indicates I only have 193 mb of ram. I have ran defrag and scan and have cleared just about everything from start up. One thing I did notice is that the light on my CD Rom keeps flashing while computer is booting up.

Thank you,

Manuel

I am also running window ME. Check the book sequence in the bios , mine is set for A,C . but can be set to look at the CD room first for the book then the C. , I really don't think that is the problem though. I am running a pentium 200mmx, I bought 1 64 meg memory pc 100, my board can run at 100mhz bus speed but I have it set for 66mhz as the cpu won't handle a 100mhz bus. What I beleive to have bought as 1 64 meg memory strip is showing up in the boot up sequence at 127 to 128 meg, I was thinking perhaps the store gave me the wrong strip, (who's complaining) but windows me is showing up their system infomation and with indications elsewwhere that I have or it thinks I have 127.? in physical memory but only 64 meg available and being used. Now I don't have boot up problems but I don't have excess to 128 meg of memory (rather it is 128 or 64 meg strip , who knows).

Now I just mentioned this because your actual inserted memory does not add up to your readings either. Now in certain montherboards , the order in which you insert the memory may be inportant, I am not sure how you have them inserted, read your mother board manual to see what information you can find. Try changing th order in which the memory strips are inserted into the board. Also are all the memory strips match, in order words do each of the memory strips have exactly the same specs, and I mean the same specs.Try inserting the 128 strip, at row 1, then the 2 64 meg strips, what results ? try the 128 meg strip by itself ? If you don't have the motherboard manual , you might find all the motherboard specs and info at
http://www.motherboards.org
The mother board manual may help a great deal.

It you have any kind of indentifying marks on the memory strips that whould help you check the manufacturers website for the specs on the memory strip. If all memory strips rated at the same bus speed and excess speed. For example if one strip is pc 100 and another is pc 133 or somthing else, yes memory strips could be underclocked and work ok, but how does mixed rating affect the computer or compatability with that motherboard. Anykind of a problem , it could be having trouble doing the memory check at boot up and that is the cause of the delay. You can check your bios to see if you can switch off the memory check at bootup and see what happens, if it is no different put it back, that is a nice feature to confirm good memory at bootup.

Also always remember how the memory and configureration way before this problem so you know if you go back to it , it should be ok again.

Somtimes the motherboard manufacturing gives technical support to consumers, as well as microsoft, (assuming that your copy of me has been bought not copied, in which case don't ask microsoft for support)

Let me know what you find, and see if I can help further.