Detached Garage - Best way to get internet?

Old 07-15-11, 06:01 AM
Detached Garage - Best way to get internet?

I am building a detached garage about 90 ft from our existing house. I am to the point where I need to start thinking about wiring it for electric and possibly phone. Currently, my wifi router is not strong enough to reach the garage, and for future usability, I have been thinking about wiring the garage for internet. How would the best way to do this be? Is running Ethernet cable becoming obsolete? Would it be best to just set up a wireless repeater or some other wireless system?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-11, 06:29 AM
Group Moderator
Running Ethernet cable is not even close to obsolete. In fact wifi is just a handy way to access the internet where wired is not an option. Wired is more reliable then wireless. Since you are doing the electric this is a perfect time to run the phone and network cables. They can be run in the same trench although there should be some spacing between the pipes (6-12") I suggest running a electrical PVC pipe large enough for two cat 5's and maybe one cable TV. A 3/4" or 1" should do you just fine.

Old 07-15-11, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the reply. What is the reason for the spacing between the pipes...interference? What interferes with what?

So...I pipe ethernet to to the garage, and tie it to a wireless access point there. For my laptop or phone, will this be one big wireless network or two separate networks. In other words, will my phone/laptop have to drop one connection and pick the other one up?

Old 07-15-11, 07:23 AM
I would use nothing less than a one-inch conduit and yes, you need to space it a minimum of six inches (12 inches is better) from the conduit carrying the electrical power conductors to eliminate interference and data corruption from the power line.

You would run an Ethernet cable (maximum of 300 feet) from a router/switch in the house to an Ethernet (RJ-45) jack in the garage. At the garage you could either use a wired connection to your computer or you could connect a second wireless router. My personal preference would be to use a wired connection as it is more secure and usually faster than a wireless connection.

For the telephone you would run a second cable, this could be either a second category-5e (Ethernet) cable or a lesser grade such as category-3 cable. Use a regular wired telephone or a cordless model if you prefer. Wired is always more secure and less prone to outside interference. While you could use a "spare pair" in the first Ethernet cable for telephone service it is NOT the preferred method.

Old 07-15-11, 07:40 AM
Group Moderator
Electrical wires can cause interference on phone and Ethernet lines, thus the spacing. Most people suggest 12" free air so in the ground could likely be less.

The Ethernet cable going to the garage will connect to your wireless router (Most have 4+ ports on the back for wired) in the house. In the garage you will install another access point or router. If it was me I would wire the garage with cat5 also and use that rather then wireless but that is your call. It will all be the same network. If doing wireless you will just have to select the access point with the stronger signal.

Old 07-15-11, 08:00 AM
So, if I understand you guys, I need to run the phone and ethernet down one pipe and then allow some space and run the electric down another pipe. Correct?

Old 07-15-11, 08:08 AM
Group Moderator
Correct

Old 07-15-11, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
Just wondering....isn't there a specific type Cat-X that needs to be used in this application?

Old 07-15-11, 08:27 AM
Ideally you would use a weatherproof or direct burial cable but as long as it is in conduit ordinary cable will have a reasonably long life. Sealing the ends of the conduit (with ductseal) will help. Ductseal is available in the electrical aisle of any home improvement mega-mart.