laptop battery and charger

Old 07-22-11, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
laptop battery and charger

hp dv7 1262us battery wont charge with adapter,tested output on adapter 19v .when both batt and adapter both connected computer shuts down when starting it. left batt out tried with just adapter light comes on at connection but still nothing ,charging light blinks when batt and adapt connected. any help as i dont want to replace things that doesnt need to. thanks k

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-11, 09:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Have you checked the power supply on the laptop?

Old 07-22-11, 11:35 AM
it starts to boot and then shuts off

Old 07-22-11, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
I'm not that familiar with laptops...but it's possible its the laptop power supply inside the case...not the charger or battery. I think thats what mitch meant as well.

Whats the battery voltage? Not right after it's been charging...you could just read the "surface charge"...but a day or 2 later?

Pretty sure most laptops will work without the battery in when connected to just the charger/power supply.

Old 07-22-11, 12:21 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, I meant the power supply inside the laptop; it's an actual part of the machine, not something external.

I jumped to this since the laptop does not work under battery or AC power.

Old 07-22-11, 03:45 PM
didnt know there was an internal ps. daughters boyfriend has a dv7 hell let me use the battery and ps adapter to check out first before i attempt to take apart

Old 07-22-11, 03:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
Yes, I meant the power supply inside the laptop; it's an actual part of the machine, not something external.

I jumped to this since the laptop does not work under battery or AC power.
There is no power supply inside a laptop. The only ones that ever had that were I think Compaq Armadas (circa 1999), because you had to plug the 120v plug right into the laptop. But if it has an external brick, THAT is the power supply. The charging circuits are built into the motherboard and are not repairable. If the charging circuit is toast, then the motherboard must be replaced.

Most common problem here is a broken DC jack in the laptop. Does wiggling the DC plug or flexing the cord make it stay on? Is the charge light "flashing" (at a regular pace, as if it means something) or is it "blinking" (irregular, as if it is losing contact intermittently)?

Edit: if you have an identical model to swap parts, that's great. Definitely give it a try.

Old 07-22-11, 04:08 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks, Matt - didn't know laptops didn't have internal power supplies

Old 07-22-11, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Well...I didn't really mean P/S...and I don't THINK mitch did either (sorry if I'm speaking out of turn mitch). They have to have some sort of regulating/charging circuits (as you stated Matt). That's pretty much what I meant.

Seems unlikely that the connector itself is bad since voltage is getting through to light the power light. At least I think that's what was said.

Old 07-22-11, 07:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's why I asked whether it is 'flashing' or 'blinking'. Flashing indicates that the computer is trying to tell you something. Blinking is irregular, and indicates an intermittent electrical problem.

The DC jack is a high stress point. If it has been physically broken loose from the board, it is possible that one of the traces is fractured. It is not at all uncommon for the fractured trace to be able to handle a small amount of current that trickles into the battery, but as soon as you try to turn it on or it attempts to put a rapid charge into the battery (which draws a lot of current), the fracture heats up and the circuit opens, only to close again once it cools (similar to an auto-reset circuit breaker or automotive flasher).

Last edited by JerseyMatt; 07-22-11 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-24-11, 06:57 AM
replaced dc jack 4months ago worked fine,charging light blinking, light next to jack constant. battery i got from daughters bf different size.

Old 08-08-11, 05:10 AM
well ordered new charger and still nothing. took apart and found ac jack burned/melted at plug end ordered another , any thoughts to what may have caused it also wife says she kept plug in all time.

Old 08-09-11, 03:19 AM
The plug loosens over time which can heat the connection.

Also, older batteries will constantly charge which draws more current when both the laptop is running and the battery is charging. To prevent this in the future, charge the battery when the laptop is off and pull the battery when it's running on AC power.

Old 08-10-11, 04:11 AM
sounds like that would do it. waiting for plug to arrive so wife can stop bugging me about it. lol. ill update progress when done with repair, hope that it is just plug burnt and nothing on mb . looks ok and smells clean as no burnt smell. thanks for reply type you soon

Old 08-11-11, 01:11 AM
Hi I was just browsing as I hadn't been here in a while. I have a Dell laptop I bought used and while I was trying to find out things about it I came across a video made by one of their technicians. I don't have a link to it but he basically said to prevent damage like what you are talking about to prevent kinks in the cord. As for keeping the laptop plugged in all of the time I keep mine plugged in and it doesn't seem to hurt it. Just for reference my laptop is a Latitude D600. Good luck with your repair I hope it works out for you.

Old 08-11-11, 07:18 AM
installed the new plug and everything works again. hope it was a defective plug, if not ill be back. thanks peoples