Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Changing to a new hard drive

Visiting Guest

01-04-01, 12:30 AM   #1  
Marshall Buttrey

I will be installing a larger hard drive. What is the best way to get a copy of my existing drive to the new drive, so I can boot from the new drive the way I do the old drive, have the same programs, and the same data.

Boy, that's a twister. Does the question even make sense?

Will making it a slave and doing a diskcopy work?

Thanks,

Marshall Buttrey

Sponsored Links

CANADA

01-04-01, 03:40 AM   #2  
Originally posted by Marshall Buttrey

I will be installing a larger hard drive. What is the best way to get a copy of my existing drive to the new drive, so I can boot from the new drive the way I do the old drive, have the same programs, and the same data.

Boy, that's a twister. Does the question even make sense?

Will making it a slave and doing a diskcopy work?

Thanks,

Marshall Buttrey
There is software that that will allow you do exactly that you are saying. I personally would just install the system to from scratch. If you have too much to back up to a floppy, don't have a cd burner. I am assuming that the new drive is of the IDE variety.

Most mothreboards from 2 IDE connectors, each can run a master and a slave. The main C drive must be the master of the first IDE controller. So depending that else is on the IDE controller (CD rom, etc) use an available spot , 1st ide slave, or 2nd ide master, depending on what else is there. set the jumper in the new harddrive (master or slave) accordingly. May need a IDE ribben cable with 2 connectors on it (3 conenctors if you include the mother board connector). Once that is hooked up and the computer booted, the new drive has to be partitioned using fdisk, if you need instructions on that proceedure , please repost for more info. When using fdisk select enable large disk support so that you are using fat 32. Then the new drive must be formatted. Once that is done. You may receate a directory on the new drive and copy data files that you need to back up (not programs, just personal data files). Now it is a good idea to make sure that you have all your drivers for your sound card, video card, and modem card before going further, sometimes windows will find them, sometimes not. You can find them on on the internet if you don't have them and place these drivers in a directory on the new drive just in case.If you look in the control panel, system, device manager you can fidn teh names of teh soundcard, etc. if you don;t know them. Make a startup floppy, go to start, settings, control panel, add/remove programs, select startup tab, create disk.
Windows 95 I don't beleive does not have the cd rom drivers in the startup disk, windows 98 and mindows me does, hopefully you are running one of these. Try now to shut down the computer and boot up on the floppy and confirm that the cd rom is brought up, you must have the cd rom to install from windwos install cd. Now shut down the computer and move the new drive to the master of the 1st IDE controller, leave the old drive disconnected, do not hook up the old drive in the system, the windows install proceedure will get confused if it spots a windwos system on another drive, you can hook it up later if you wish to run another drive, and format it at that time. boot up on the floppy, the bios should automatically see the new drive, at the prompt , type DIR C: to see if the space is close to what it should be. Now insert the install cd of your operating system in the cd rom, go to whatever drive letter is the cd rom , type setup Ior install, I think it is setup) and follow the on screen install procedures for windows setup. If using a windows 98 startup or a windows me startup boot disk , it creates a temporary ram drive , so if you only have 2 IDE drives (harddrive & cd rom), you might think the CD rom should be the D drive, when using teh startup disk, the CD rom would end up being the E drive, once windows is installed and the startup disk removed, it will change back to D.
I realize this takes leonger to do, but by installing a fresh system you do not carry over any problems from the previosu system, you clean up a lot garbage that could have collected on the old system over time. Yes more time is spent but you do end up with a clean install. Once the system is installed, you have the task of installing all your softawe which I hope for have install cd's for or can obtain them. Any further information on this procedure please repost.

Diskcopy is designed to copy floppies not harddrives. There is programs out there, like diskclone, diskimage amd others. I haven't used them , If want to upgarde the hard drive I usually prefer doing a clean install. If you really want to do a copy perhaps otehrs can advise which program is best. But there is system files, hidden files etc there , and a friend of mind tried regular copying nethods and he was plagged with problems and ended up redoing the system anyway. Use special software designed to do that if you insist on taking that route.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-04-01, 03:48 AM   #3  
Most hardrive manufacturers have utility programs on their web sites that will do the copy for you. check them first.

CANADA

01-04-01, 04:05 AM   #4  
one very inportant note I forgot to mentions, about partitioning your new drive, be very carefull that what you are partitioning is the new drive, and not the old one, you cahneg the partitioning on the old one, and nothing can be recovered on the old one.

fdisk may only be able to see the c drive. So do the partitioning this way, make a start up boot disk, shut down you computer, change the current c master to the new drive set as the master, with the new drive now as the c drive, (old drive not hooked up) boot up on the startup boot floppy. now run fdisk, set to enable large disk support (fat 32) do the partition, format the the new c drive.
now remove the floppy, shut down the computer, install the old drive as a the c drive, put the new drive in a available position, 1st ide slave ? follow the rest of the procedure in my previous post.

CANADA

01-04-01, 04:07 AM   #5  
oh and make sure from the start that the start up disk does bring up the cd rom.

Visiting Guest

01-04-01, 04:35 PM   #6  
mikejmerritt
Marshall Buttrey, You didn't say whether or not you had a CD Writer but if you do or would consider getting one while you are into replacing a drive you could get a program like Ghost http://ghosting.netfirms.com/ which works in dos or Take 2, info at the same link, which works in Windows to make an image of your system which can be loaded on to new drive from CD and you would have full system backup for the future...Mike

Search this Thread