Backups

Old 08-03-11, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Backups

Do I have another good one for all you guys. I finally got my computer to show my bookmarks. I don't know what I did, either. Now for a new one. My wife's XP computer went south on us. I had to get her a new HP Pavilion with Win 7 Home Premium. How can I get her files off her external HD and put them on the new computer?? Will I have to install all her programs first, and then put her files on? She has to have her games. Again, thanks a bunch in advance. dinky,the guy.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-11, 02:19 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Files

Connect the external hard drive to the new computer. Go to Windows Explorer. (Not Internet Explorer!) Look for the external drive letter. You files should be there.

Old 08-03-11, 02:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Files are typically drag and drop once the external drive is hooked up to the PC. Usually, you don't need the applications to move the files, just to access them.

Old 08-05-11, 04:35 PM
Thanks guys. Sorry for not getting back sooner, we has a electrical substation blow on Wednesday. We finally got power this early afternoon. dinky

Old 08-05-11, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by dinky View Post
Thanks guys. Sorry for not getting back sooner, we has a electrical substation blow on Wednesday. We finally got power this early afternoon. dinky
You guys are going through some horrible heat down there. SE Pa only had a short spell of that real bad stuff. Hope it ends soon down there and all the electric grid holds up!

Old 08-06-11, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
Mr. Dinky you know programs and games do have to be installed first. You can't just copy folders over because of system files needed. Then, any personal files, saved games, etc. can be copied over.