E drive? attempting to upload photos puter won't recognize the E drive???

Old 08-07-11, 02:32 PM
E drive? attempting to upload photos puter won't recognize the E drive???

I have a Canon camera and use a Sony photo manipulator on my puter from an older Sony camera. It has always recognize the E drive that I place my camera card with the photo into before except once. I don't know what happened but it would not show the E drive to go and get the pics off of. It shows the D (DVD drive) but not the E. I have a Zeikos SD/MMC High Speed thing I put my camera card into and then plug into a port on the front of my puter. It's always been so easy till now. Is there something I've done maybe? The Canon program does not see the E drive to upload the images either. Hoping someone can help me here.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-11, 03:15 AM
My card reader is finicky. Things to try to help narrow down the cause:
-- A different USB port. The system may need to reload the device driver.
-- Plug the card into the reader after you plug the reader into the USB.
-- Plug the card into the reader before you plug it in to the USB.
-- A factory-formatted (new) card.
-- Try the reader & card in a different computer.

Old 08-08-11, 12:07 PM
Sometimes a simple restart can fix issues like this too. Computers occasionally get hiccups.

Old 08-08-11, 12:19 PM
Group Moderator
Keep in mind using a different USB port may result in your PC using a letter other than E for the drive.

Old 08-08-11, 12:35 PM
Also not 'Safely Removing' the drive can sometimes cause issues as well.

Old 08-08-11, 02:07 PM
Things I have tried. Rebooting puter, tried several times - no luck. I pluged the card into the reader then into the USB port. There are two USB ports on the front of my puter, tried both. Today, I plugged the reader into the port, then the card into the reader. The note came up that the puter does not recognize this drive??? Hmm, the box appeared and disappeared so fast I barely had time to read that much. This is the only card I've used with this camera and I've had it for nearly 3 years now. Would that make a difference? Maybe a new reader? This one came with the camera.

My puter is not recognizing either one of the front USB ports. I have a Dell. Windows XP Pro.

Old 08-08-11, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Does your computer recognize the front ports with another device plugged into it?
If it is a USB problem reloading the USB drivers might fix it.
Another thing to try is to reformat the memory card in the camera, just make sure you take the pics off first.

One other thing to consider is to manually offload the images.
I use to like the features from the software for an old Fuji camera I had.
Problem came when I upgraded cameras a few times, each a different make and found little glitches using other than a Fuji.
Best thing I ever did was rig up a simple file system that now after several years can go back to relatively easily find things.
It even makes it easy to take images off several different cameras from my wife and myself.
It does take a bit longer to do than an auto-dump but it's a bit more organized.