How do I find what is slowing down my computer?

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-11, 03:36 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I find what is slowing down my computer?

Running Windows 7 64bit

I have run spybot and malware anti-malware programs and they don't find anything. How can I check and see what is slowing down my computer? I really don't want to do a restore but if it comes to that I will. Computer is had not gotten so slow that it is a really big problem yet but it is slowly heading that way. I also run Firefox and there are gettting to be more times that it is slow and shows "not responding" then picks back up. If someone can help me, thanks ahead of time. I have some computer experience but definitely a novice. So if you send explanations I will do my best to follow them but may have future questions on steps.

I am thinking it is probably something that is running in the backround and things that run at start up that either didn't use to or didn't use to be there at all. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-11, 05:45 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Disk Cleabup

Run disk cleanup as a first step. This removes temporary files and other unnecessary "stuff".

Old 08-18-11, 06:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 38 Posts
Pull up the task manager when it's running slowly and see what processes are running

Old 08-18-11, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Is it your internet thats slow, or the computer itself? Are you wired or wirless?

For internet this always works for me.

1. Power cycle (turn off and then turn on after 10 to 15 seconds) modem and computer. Remove the power cord from the modem and/or router, wait at least 10 seconds, and then plug the modem and/or router back in.
2. Remove the hub and check the status by directly connecting the computer to modem.
3. Open Network by right-clicking the network icon in the desktop, and then right clicking the right adapter and click repair.
4. To Release/Renew IP ( I just release then renew, plus I flush the dns)
~From the Start Menu, click RUN and enter cmd in the Search box, and then press Enter
~Select from the following options on the cmd.exe window:
~To view your IP address, at the command prompt, enter ipconfig, and then press Enter.
~To release your IP address, at the command prompt, enter ipconfig/release, and then press Enter.
~To renew your IP address, at the command prompt, enter ipconfig/renew, and then press Enter.
5. ipconfig / flushdns
6. Clear Temporary and offline internet files.
7. Swap the Ethernet cable ends and also replug all the other cables securly.
8. Run Disk Cleanup to free up space on your computer and defragment the hard drive.

Mike NJ

Old 08-18-11, 06:33 PM
Im no expert. I have Vista Home Premium and there is a tool called Performance Monitor that you can get to via the Tools menus via the System Configuration menu. Or you can type perfmon in the start box.

I just started (yea,and after only just a few years with Vista.lol)to play with it myself, but you can choose a lot of things to observe in real-time. Or you can set things up to monitor processes vs. processor usage, disk usage, ram usage, network usage, and a lot of other things over a time period that you choose and have the information logged. You can then go back later and analyze the log with the same Performance Monitor tool.

I just started, but it looks like it would be very helpful. I would think that Windows 7 would include the same stuff. Hopefully.

Old 08-20-11, 01:07 PM
Do as suggested, but if it is still continues open task manager (hold CTRL + SHIFT and press ESC) and then click the processes tab. Under the CPU and Memory columns scroll down and find out which processes are using the most of each and post the name here and I will look it up for you and try to figure out what might be the problem.

Good luck

Old 08-20-11, 01:11 PM
Also on a side note, when you ran Spybot and MalwareBytes did you just run them or did you right click and run them as administrator? If you did not run them as administrator (Not the same as just running them from an administrative account) they might have missed things they did not have access to. Try this first.

Old 08-20-11, 10:07 PM
I agree with the advice the others have given. I too am not an expert but have worked on my own computers for years and on a friends one time. A good deal of the time I have found that a slow computer is one of two things either bad memory or bad software. Sometimes the bad software is something you think is helping to protect your computer namely anti-virus software. Avg has been mentioned in blogs and has caused some problems at least in the not too distant past. Hopefully Avgs problems have been taken care of but it caused me all kinds of problems with Windows 7. Getting back to memory I would use memtest it is a free program you can download onto a flash drive(and I suggest an empty one of any other programs) and used now on Windows which is new for them. Good luck to you!

Old 08-21-11, 06:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There is an issue with Windows Update that occurs in a random smattering of 7 and Vista installs (doesn't seem to be any pattern as to where it will show itself), where it will boot up fine, and run fine for 5-10 minutes, then once the update search/download starts it chews up all available memory and pegs the CPU at 100%. This makes everything drag.

There is a hotfix and steps that allegedly fix this issue, but I have never been able to make them work successfully. I have always been forced to reinstall Windows.

To see if this is your issue, right click on the taskbar, select Start Task Manager, select the Processes tab, and click on the Memory Usage header to see what is eating up the memory, and CPU to see what is eating up the CPU. It'll usually be either svchost.exe or WmiPrvSE.exe.

Old 08-24-11, 04:45 AM
Spikester, 2 of the biggest running that seem to be a couple of firefox plug-ins. they are listed as plugin-container*32. there are 3 listed like this but only 2 seem to be running. one of them under the CPU column is staying about 48-50 and in the memory column is at 121,967K The other one shows from 0-02 in CPU column and 38,336K in CPU column. I don't know what these plug ins are for. I don't know if they are just the program running. You would know better than I. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-24-11, 05:11 AM
Alright did a quick search on plugin-container*32 and it appears it is a crash prevention feature for later versions of firefox. However it is definitely a contributor to your slow PC. Try running Spybot and Malware Bytes as admin as I suggested before (if you haven't done it yet to make sure nothing is exploiting this feature in Firefox) If it comes back clean for both then this may help. This is a guide from Mozilla for disabling OOP. Disabling Plugin Container and Out of Process Plugins If this doesn't fix the problem try uninstalling and then reinstalling Firefox.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-24-11, 09:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The plugin container loads whenever a website requests loading of Shockwave, Flash, or Java. It's common to see multiple instances of it (especially if you have things like Facebook, Youtube, Farmville, etc loaded in multiple tabs), and usually it minds its manners, but it can get caught in a loop and forget to unload after you leave the page. 99% of the time simply reloading Firefox helps (make sure you are running the latest version - things like this are being fixed constantly). But there is nothing malicious about that process.

Old 09-12-14, 06:50 PM
Thanks. Using perfmon and a process of elimination I found a program called driverupdate was playing havoc with my hard drive, constantly checking it and writing logs. Completely removing it - page errors went down from 60 to 5 average, and disk usage down to 1 MB per sec from max

Old 09-13-14, 10:37 AM
Good information! I'm putting that one on my "to watch for" list, lol.

Closed Thread