Puting New Motherboard in old Computer

Old 08-20-11, 10:54 PM
Puting New Motherboard in old Computer

Hi as some of you are probably already aware I just recently bought a Pavilion M8000N media center pc at auction. Well I can't say that was the wisest choice and anyone can go ahead and say I told you so that's fine. The motherboard apparently was damaged as it just didn't want to stay on it kept on shutting down and all I was doing was wiping an old hard drive to test it with as that had Windows 98 on it. The power supply is inadequate too as it is just 300 watts so I am switching it too. The dvd drive is bad too so that needs replacing but the good news in it all is I was able to get the new motherboard at Amazon.com with gift certificates I already had and the cpu. All of which I wish I didn't have to replace as this computer was great in its day.
Now to my main question the motherboard I am going to use is an Asus M4A785-M. I think I have everything kind of figured out as far as where the usb cords will go but I am unsure of a cord that is coming from the card reader. The end that plugs into the motherboard is wide and white and I think might plug into a serial socket but I am not sure. It looks too wide for usb and that is what I understand is the standard now for built in memory card readers. So my main question is has anyone ever heard of a card reader that plugged into a serial port before? I ask as the new board has a serial port on it actually at a better spot than on the old board if that is what that is. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-11, 12:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No, card readers are USB, the will not work if plugged into a serial port. They normally take up two ports and as such may have a 10-pin (2x5) keyed header connector (identical to the serial header) rather than a single or dual 1x4. That board has three internal dual-port USB headers (a the bottom center), so it would just plug into there (notice the COM1 port at the top right which has the same type connector). If it is NOT a 10-pin (2x5) header with one hole plugged, then you will have to post a picture of it so we can see what it actually is. It could be an HP proprietary connector.

Also, is there a Firewire port on the front panel? (Marked with this symbol: ) If there is, that connector (usually colored red, but not always) is also 10 pin (2x5) keyed, and does not belong connected to the USB headers.

Old 08-22-11, 03:44 PM
I wish I could post a picture for you as I took two great pictures or so I thought but I am not able to I guess because it says I may not post attachments. The only thing I can tell you is that the card reader has a black connector that looks a great deal like a usb connector. I will though try to look up the old motherboard and there is a link to a picture of it on HPs website. I found the picture here is the link Motherboard Specifications, M2N68-LA (Narra) HP Pavilion Media Center TV m8000n Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English) . On the board it is the second white connector and there really are no definitive markings I can ascertain as to what is what. Their photo doesn't help much either. It kind of looks like usb headers but I really can't be sure and I haven't disconnected anything yet as I want to mark things first and then remove everything just to be on the safe side. Your help is most appreciated.

Old 08-22-11, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
You can upload pics to a free host like Photo Bucket and provide a link or use the button above the reply box to have them appear in your post.
Pics would help because it is possible that your old computer has some proprietary components.

Not sure if is too late but I am sure that you could buy a refurbished computer with an operating system for likely not much more than you paid for the parts and the grief!

Old 08-22-11, 11:15 PM
I guess I am not a photo bucket kind of person as the pictures didn't want to show right. I can try again at another time sorry that I can't do better.

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 08-22-11 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-23-11, 03:37 PM
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
I guess I am getting a little bit better at posting pictures on the web and have never had to do this before but I can also understand the importance of pictures too and that is why I posted these two pictures. By the way just so you know these came from image shack and not the other place photobucket someone had suggested as the images wouldn't show here just the links so I said to myself forget it. It was a good idea though and I appreciate the help very much. The top picture is of the memory card reader and the bottom picture shows the motherboard connections. It is the white connector that is in question on the far left top of the picture. It looks like it is usb but I am not sure of that as things are not well defined. If the picture is too small for you you can click it and see it on image shack as I made them public so anyone can see the pictures. On the far right I think is the firewire port on the board as it is red and someone said it would be red. I checked the new motherboard last night and it will fit. I am concerned though that there don't seem to be any metal standoffs and more just a direct connection from the motherboard to the case. I am kind of afraid that there could be a possible short so I might put some electrical tape between the board and the new motherboard. Any thoughts on that are greatly appreciated too. I must say I really like this forum as everyone here tries to help each other out and it seems to be well run. I just had to get used to posting a picture though. Thanks for your help!

Old 08-23-11, 05:55 PM
hi hedge

This is a different version of the board, but you can read the layout diagram on this one and it shows those white headers as USB-1 and USB-2.

https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...roduct=4064886

Old 08-23-11, 09:01 PM
Thanks Zoesdad I think you are right it is a usb header so I think I will mark the cable usb. I wish the other diagram had been more clear for the other motherboard. I still though will probably have more questions though so I would like to ask the moderator or moderators to keep this open for a while as it will help me and others I am sure who have questions. As a matter of fact I do have a question for the forum about an internal usb extender I found on a major website. It is powered by the power supply and extends the internal usb connections if you don't have enough. I was wondering what others thought of this is it any good? I heard nothing but praise on the website from other users but would like your opinions too. Also wondering about opinions concerning wireless cards that fit into pcie slots and if they are any good. I can't run wires from my router to my new computer for a connection to the internet so a wireless card is a must. But there are cards with two or three antennas or just one antenna and several different brands so your opinion as to which brand and type will certainly help. Just so you know I am also going to use a wireless mouse and keyboard since this will be in the living room. Thank you for your help.

Old 08-24-11, 10:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Glad you got your original issue sorted out. As for the internal extenders, they are simply powered USB hubs that give you a few extra 10-1 (2x5 with one missing) pin headers and usually have an actual USB socket or two as well. Nothing wrong with using these (in fact, they are ideal if you have many devices that draw high power from the USB ports). But given you have 6 ports on the back panel plus 6 internal already (two for the card reader, plus up to four front panel), you should be fine as you stand.

PCI wireless cards work just as good as they do in laptops (in fact, the majority of them are an actual laptop card permanently installed in a PCI/PCIe to PCMCIA/XpressCard adapter). However, it could be adversely affected by its placement (down on the floor among noisy electrical cables behind a big steel box). So give it a shot, and if the signal strength isn't satisfactory, get yourself a desk antenna for it. There are also USB Wifi cards that come with a 'desk dock' to sit them up up off the floor. Those tend to be a little less powerful than a PCI card though. But if the router is in the next room, it shouldn't really matter.