Run DOS program on XP.

Old 08-27-11, 05:41 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Run DOS program on XP.

I have a piece of equipment that uses a DOS program for programming via an RS232 serial connection. I'm pretty sure I can run this program on XP but I can't for the life of me figure it out. Right now the program is on a 3-1/2 inch floppy (yes, I have the drive) but I don't know how to copy the folder (and included files) to my hard drive and then be able to run it.

Or am I just screwed, blued and tattooed?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-11, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
Just shooting from the hip but, if you can access the program on the drive in XP you should be able to drag it over to your HD.
Then how about just going start>programs>accessories>command prompt. I would you could then run it in a window.

Or am I just screwed, blued and tattooed?
I doubt that. I'm sure we can find a work around.

Old 08-27-11, 09:19 PM
False alarm. I have the program somewhere on my hard drive. I can find it by doing a search and it says it is in My Documents but I cannot find it when I look in that category. No matter as I can find it by means of the search function and it does appear to be working.

Old 08-28-11, 11:36 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Dos

Just in case you need a refresher, here is a good list of DOS commands and their explanations with examples:

MS-DOS help and commands

Old 08-28-11, 09:23 PM
Thanks, guys. It is a DOS program but it doesn't use DOS commands except to get it started. Since it is running under windows I don't even need the commands to start it. It doesn't like to shut down via windows so I need to remember to use the exit command.

Turns out I didn't even need it as I used a different piece of (old) equipment that uses hyper terminal for programming. Worked fine. I guess I haven't forgotten as much as I thought.