Mobo? Psu???

Old 08-22-11, 01:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Mobo? Psu???

Okay, woke this morning to a computer that wouldn't start up properly. Win7 tried to do a self-fix and was unsuccessful. After shutting down I tried to power back up and what happens is that fans and lights come on for less than a second and then it goes dead. Without touching anything it does it again and keeps doing that repeatedly until you manually switch off the PSU. Of course, today I would have a busy towing day and no time to t/s yet; sounds like a six pack evening. I'm open to any and all suggestions; I'm thinking has to be either PS or MOBO. Neither is very old (had a major crash last year; can't remember if I replaced the PS, but the MOBO was replaced. Think I put a new PS in, too; will have to see if I kept a record. FWIW, it acts exactly like the guy describes in a post here. I was even initially trying to wake it up from sleep mode just like him:

Computer tries to start over and over, but can't - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Old 08-22-11, 04:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would first try replacing the PSU. They usually are less of a hassle. If nothing else then you have a spare PSU just in case. With the random reboots though after just a few seconds unfortunately leads me to believe it may actually be the Motherboard. Any time I have had a PSU go bad it either would not boot at all, or only part would boot because the 12v rail went out.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-23-11, 09:33 PM
H
I agree I think it is possibly the power supply but it could even be blown capacitors on the motherboard as my old computer had that problem. It could even be a bad processor but I don't really think so as it doesn't sound like that. If you can switch memory with a computer that you know has compatible memory you could try that too. I think though your first course of action though will be to look for bad capacitors. Good luck to you!

Old 08-25-11, 04:22 AM
Group Moderator
Okay, I'm back and up again. Replaced the MOBO; also replaced the psu as a precautionary measure, although it seems to be good (had a few miles on it). New memory, too, but that was because new board is DDR3 vice DDR2; I'm sure the old memory is good. For troubleshooting I unplugged everything except the 24 pin main connector and the 4-pin little square 12v one. No change. Then I unplugged the 4-pin connector and VOILA, the psu would stay powered up. As a last check before I ordered the mobo, I put a 12v load on the 4-pin connector and the psu was still able to stay powered up. Figured that was proof enough for the mobo to be the culprit, but since I was going to have the "patient" opened up anyway thought I would go ahead and replace the psu as well.

Old 08-31-11, 12:55 AM
H
It sounds like you bought one of the newer motherboards the_tow_guy. Was it blown capacitors like I was thinking on the motherboard the_tow_guy? I am also curious as to which motherboard you bought. Whatever brand it is it sounds good and I am glad you are up and running again. Have a good week!

Old 08-31-11, 04:45 AM
Group Moderator
Haven't done a close inspection for the breakdown. Old board was a Biostar G31, new one is a Biostar G41. Doubled the memory since I had to buy new anyway which has helped performance. Never had a bit of trouble with the old board until it dies, so thought I would try another Biostar.

Only one glitch has showed up and I'm totally stumped. I'm connected through a Belkin N600 router to which I had previously connected our printer to its usb port to allow network printing. After the MOBO transplant I can no longer print to the computer via the nettwork; it works fine if I local-connect. After going back and forth with Belkin support, came to conclusion its not the router. Also tried a different printer, so that's not it either. Did all the usual ts stuff; reset everything, reinstalled software, etc. Belkin's final idea was to ask if I could print to it via a different source, i.e. other than my desktop, and when I tried wireless from my daughter's laptop, it worked. SO, it appears everything is functional EXCEPT, I can't print from the desktop. The printer is recognized on the network, but it will not connect either in auto-connect mode or manually and I tried every trick I could think of. It's not really a big issue, but occasionally it was handy to be able to print via the wireless network.

Old 08-31-11, 12:49 PM
H
I think I might possibly know what the problem is if you are running windows 7 on your new motherboard. You need to login to windows 7 remotely. With me I have currently one Windows 7 computer and the rest are all Windows XP. In Windows XP look for my network places and click on that. In Network Tasks double click on View Workgroup Computers and then click on the computer you want to connect to. As an example let's call the computer Ralphs computer that is connected to the printer click on that and put in the password for Ralphs computer. Now look in Ralphs computer and see if you can see your printer if you can you are in business and if not then you need to make that printer available. Take a look at this link it helped me get my printer recognized with everything else Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP - How-To Geek . I wish you luck!

Old 09-01-11, 10:03 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks, hedge. Running Win 7. I've kind of back-burnered it for the time being. I've never messed with printer sharing before other than through a print server or (before the mobo crash) through the router, but I know it's diable as you describe. The main issue right now is basically the annoyance issue of not knowing why it all of a sudden doesn't work as before with just a simple mobo swap. I'll save the link info for some day when I need something to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: