Need external screen

Old 09-02-11, 09:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Need external screen

I'm on wifey's computer so I have to hurry before she finds out. My Dell D800 screen led bulbs just died (again). Have another computer out there in UPS land somewhere, but until it arrives I need to use my computer. Data screen is fine as you can see it with an angular glance with the light just in the right position. What is the best way to hook up another screen, such as a TV or another computer so I can see my screens? It has the 15 pin plugs on the back, and one of the LCD tv's has a mating one. Is it as simple as buying a 15 pin cord and hooking it up making changes on the keyboard, I think FN F8. Can you use USB cords, CAT5 ??? I have an old Gateway laptop, a rear projection TV with only AV hook ups and the smaller TV with the 15 pin mate.
Thanks in advance for the help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-11, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, it's that easy. A VGA monitor cable is all you need (d-sub 15 males on each end). Connect the monitor to the port on the LCD. Fn F8 is commonly used to cycle between the laptop, external monitor, and both. The D800 may use different keys.

However, since we're in the DIY world, you can find replacement backlights for ridiculously cheap. When my wife's laptop's screen did the same thing, I bought one from ebay for $7. Installation instructions are all over the net. It took me about an hour to get it running. The hardest thing to figure out was that there were screws holding the bezel that were under rubber "feet" that had to be pried off.

Old 09-02-11, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I replaced the lights once and the entire screen again, and had no problem with instructions or obtaining the parts. May do it again just to have a working computer. I think the entire screen (easier) ran about $60. I'll deny it, but it was the best excuse I could come up with to get a better, badder computer Got one coming running 2.1G, 250 G storage, 4 G ram.
Glad it is as simple as you say. Road trip to Wally world or RS tomorrow, I guess. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-03-11, 04:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You may have to change the screen resolution to match the native resolution of the LCD monitor.

Old 09-03-11, 05:42 AM
Aaah, good point. I'll let you know how things go. Thanks Rick.

Add: Piece of cake. Thanks.

Last edited by chandler; 09-03-11 at 07:59 AM. Reason: add stuff