Data recovery

Old 09-02-11, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Data recovery

Is there away, or program, that will recover data. The problem is, some how I think my wife may have fried her hard drive. Most of the data is back up on our home net work, and the programs are on disk. But there is around 3000 pictures that aren't. She disable them, because said is was slowing her down, when it did a backup.
I called my computer guy, he said it was around $150.00 just to check the hard drive. And if there was a problem, he had to send it out, and that would be around $400.00 to start, and could run into the thousands.
Some times it will boot, but won't run very long, or let you get very far. And it keeps making a clicking noise. I have tried running it on my computer in a external drive case, and it does the same thing.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-11, 12:09 AM
I really wish I could give you better news but you are right the hard drive is fried. It was probably getting very worn out and started to fail as they don't last forever. An important reason for backing up your data. You say you had pictures on your computer do you still have the memory cards for some of those pictures? If not then they are probably gone for good. Your computer guy is right when he says that data retrieval from a bad hard drive is very expensive as it is a very specialized field and very few people do it. It is also not guaranteed either as the data may have been so badly corrupted that nothing is retrievable. I work on my own computers and have helped a friend out with her computer but wouldn't even think of trying to fix something like that and don't know any professionals either who would. I do remember seeing it being done on tv before and know they take the hard drive apart and use special equipment to try to retrieve the data. I really am sorry I wish I could give you and your wife better news.

Old 09-03-11, 11:41 AM
When you decide that you're out of options, you could give this a try. I took it off the web:

Save a Failed Hard Drive in Your Freezer, Redux

Years ago we suggested sticking a borked hard drive in your freezer for a chance at recovering your data before the drive goes completely kaput. Developer site Server Zone highlights the same tip, with more detailed instructions for saving your hard drive.

1. Remove the hard drive from the computer.
2. Place the hard drive inside of a zip top freezer bag. (don't buy a
cheap bag.)
3. Place the wrapped hard drive inside of ANOTHER zip top freezer bag.
(yes, you need to do this)
4. Place the double wrapped hard drive in the coldest part of your
freezer.
5. Leave the hard drive in the freezer for 12 hours at least. You want
it good and cold!
6. Once very chilled, install the hard drive in your computer and
start pulling off data. Begin with the most valuable data.
7. At some point, the hard drive will fail again. When it does, mark
the last successfully copied data, pull out the hard drive, double wrap
it again and stick it in the Chill Chest for another 12 hours.
8. You may need to do this a number of times to get all the data you
want, or until the hard drive stops working completely.

I have never tried this, but it works for some.

Old 09-03-11, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by hedgeclippers View Post
I really wish I could give you better news but you are right the hard drive is fried. It was probably getting very worn out and started to fail as they don't last forever. An important reason for backing up your data. You say you had pictures on your computer do you still have the memory cards for some of those pictures? If not then they are probably gone for good. Your computer guy is right when he says that data retrieval from a bad hard drive is very expensive as it is a very specialized field and very few people do it. It is also not guaranteed either as the data may have been so badly corrupted that nothing is retrievable. I work on my own computers and have helped a friend out with her computer but wouldn't even think of trying to fix something like that and don't know any professionals either who would. I do remember seeing it being done on tv before and know they take the hard drive apart and use special equipment to try to retrieve the data. I really am sorry I wish I could give you and your wife better news.
I know they don't last for ever, but they seem to for a good time. This is only my second one in over twenty years. The first one was used when I got it, and it gave me lots of warning and time, before it finally went. But this one was here today, and gone tomorrow. The worst part is, it's only like 2 months out of warranty. But at least they are a lot cheaper then they use to be. I could by a whole computer for what the first one cost, and that was only 32 megs, and took a full bay.

Old 09-05-11, 02:46 PM
That is a good idea Praxius I hope it helps Edward074, If I do have a hard drive failure in the future I will try that idea. I am not sure what brand of hard drive you bought Edward074 but I got to thinking that maybe you might possibly get some help from the manufacturer even though it is out of warranty. I had some help from a vacuum cleaner manufacturer a few years back and they sent me a new motor even though the vacuum was technically out of warranty. I was just thinking about that looking over my posts here, it is worth a try anyway that in the interest of good consumer relations they would do that if you return your old hard drive to them. I know would want to examine it to see what went wrong as years ago I sent a hard drive back under warranty.
I also thought that I would mention that sometimes what looks like a hard drive crashing is really the motherboard acting up as it most likely has blown capacitors. That happened to me with one of my motherboards. In your case though it definitely is the hard drive. I wish you luck with the manufacturer and hope you have kept the hard drive. Happy Labor Day to you!

Old 09-07-11, 08:53 PM
Google - spinrite is the best for recovery