error
0280 prev boot inc. - default conf used

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-11, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question

no reply's to a possible fix.
from what I can diagnose,
the bios does not see the hard drive / possible h/d itself, or mother board ?
so, does any one think this 8-9 year old lap top is worth sending in for repairs?
the shop wants-$100 just to look at it ??

thanks
mike

Last edited by newtofta; 09-08-11 at 06:29 PM. Reason: info
Old 09-08-11, 07:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
8 - 9 years old? I wouldn't sink a nickel into it.

Old 09-08-11, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
8 - 9 years old? I wouldn't sink a nickel into it.
yea, that is kind of what i was thinking,
on that note, would it be acceptable to just take the h.d.out & destroy it with a hammer & throw the rest in a recycle bin ?

Old 09-08-11, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
HP logo says MoBo is likely OK. HD is likely toast.
Yes, to pulling the HD out and smashing it. No, to throwing the rest into the bin. Must be properly disposed.

Old 09-08-11, 08:11 PM
As one last ditch attempt, did you try a 'hard reset'? Pull out the battery and unplug it, hold in the start button for 30 seconds, and then let it sit for a few minutes. Try a restart only using an external power source with the battery out of it. Sometimes a bad battery with a short can cause similar startup problems, and with a laptop that old I wonder when the last time the battery was replaced. It's worth a final try doing this before you send it off to computer heaven.

Old 09-08-11, 08:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You might also try resetting CMOS. That old it may also be a dead CMOS battery. There only a few bucks so replacing is a cheap check.

Old 09-08-11, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
You might also try resetting CMOS. That old it may also be a dead CMOS battery. There only a few bucks so replacing is a cheap check.
same here, do not know how to access the small battery,
I have replaced them in a desk top before - not a lap top

I found some info on 'E How' - looks as if it will be quite involved, will try - tomorrow.

Last edited by newtofta; 09-08-11 at 09:18 PM. Reason: found some info
Old 09-08-11, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by equinox View Post
As one last ditch attempt, did you try a 'hard reset'? Pull out the battery and unplug it, hold in the start button for 30 seconds, and then let it sit for a few minutes. Try a restart only using an external power source with the battery out of it. Sometimes a bad battery with a short can cause similar startup problems, and with a laptop that old I wonder when the last time the battery was replaced. It's worth a final try doing this before you send it off to computer heaven.
I can't figure out how to get the battery out ?
I tried this morning, removed all the little screws that appear to hold the bottom case on ?
on the bottom , there is a 'slide' button, but what does it do ?

oops, too easy - I figured it out

Last edited by newtofta; 09-08-11 at 09:16 PM. Reason: found info
Old 09-08-11, 09:25 PM
tried 'hard start' per Equinox - no change ?

Old 09-08-11, 11:20 PM
Well it was worth the try at least. It is acting like it has no Hard Drive. And that is because.....it doesn't I guess.

Old 09-09-11, 02:10 AM
Did you always own this laptop? I ask as I have worked on a few used laptops and sometimes there is no hard drive. There might be a caddy but nothing else. Also many laptops like Dell for instance need special connectors that fit on the end. If there is no hard drive and just the caddy I think it is too old too to get a new hard drive for it. You would be surprised though who might want to buy it on ebay. You save the environment and earn a few bucks in the process. Good luck to you!

Old 09-09-11, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by equinox View Post
Well it was worth the try at least. It is acting like it has no Hard Drive. And that is because.....it doesn't I guess.
It does have a hard drive , I had it out , looked online for pricing , found $ from $30 + shipping for a recon unit to $90 for a better one.
but then I will have to buy an operating system - XP - another $65
this machine was given to me as DOA, with a request that I recover the photos on the hd if possible & that I destroy the hd info

Old 09-09-11, 09:37 AM
I only meant that it doesn't have one that is working properly. I guess this photo issue is the modern risk of digital storage on things that can't be replaced. There is alot to be said about the old world of photo prints. I had the same thing happen to me in the past. Since then I have learned to try and back up things better but I still do miss the old fashion kodak moments and the anticipation of picking up the prints after processing.

Old 09-09-11, 12:27 PM
Group Moderator
I will have to buy an operating system - XP - another $65
Not really. There are more secure easier to use OSes that are free. I would suggest you go to PCLinuxOS and burn a live CD and see if you can boot from a live CD. A live CD needs no HD to work and you can use it to recover the pictures from the hard drive if there is still enough life in it to mount it.

Your triple A distribution PCLinuxOS

Old 09-09-11, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
I agree with ray...thats what I did with a hand me down laptop with a French version of XP...it works just fine...though there is a learning curve. It comes with almost everything you need for basic operation. Actually it has some pretty good music and video players..once you find them...lol.

Old 09-09-11, 02:39 PM
Group Moderator
And if you don't have a CD drive, assuming the bios will let you, you can use a flash drive instead of a CD.

Old 09-09-11, 06:55 PM
Question

Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
I agree with ray...thats what I did with a hand me down laptop with a French version of XP...it works just fine...though there is a learning curve. It comes with almost everything you need for basic operation. Actually it has some pretty good music and video players..once you find them...lol.
the p/c I am using now has c/d-dvd burning capability's /
what is a 'live' c/d - compared to a photo c/d or an audio c/d?

& should I go ahead & disassemble the machine to replace the small-CMOS battery ?

I have never used the linux o/s - but don't mind learning !?

Old 09-09-11, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
A live CD is an ISO file. It is burnt to a CD or DVD as an image not a data file. Basically it is complete bootable operating system. You set the CD drive as the first boot device. It does not need to be installed to the computer. It runs strictly from the CD and your RAM.

See my link above. That should give you the basic info. Then you can ask any additional questions in the forum. They are a friendly bunch.

I haven't used a computer with Windows for close to ten years and have never found it a problem not using Windows. And no you don't need to learn command line. Almost everything can be done in the GUI just like Windows.

Old 09-10-11, 08:47 AM
Not really. There are more secure easier to use OSes that are free. I would suggest you go to PCLinuxOS and burn a live CD and see if you can boot from a live CD. A live CD needs no HD to work and you can use it to recover the pictures from the hard drive if there is still enough life in it to mount it.

Your triple A distribution PCLinuxOS
I believe we get into this debate almost any time Linux is mentioned :P, I would also recommend Ubuntu also as it is a live CD too. The beautiful thing about live CDs is that you do not even have to decide between the two. You can download and burn both of them and then try each one to find out what best suits your needs. On a side note the last time I was on distrowatch it appeared there was an even better version of Linux for learning (Ubuntu / Debian based I believe). Can't remember the name off hand though. As Ray also stated there is no need to learn the command line for either of these you have a very effective graphical interface with both. Not sure on PCLinuxOS as I do not use it, but to mount the hard drive in Ubuntu simply go to Places and select the drive. It will be listed as XXXGB File System or possibly the name of the brand in my case the Windows partition is called Acer.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-10-11, 09:07 AM
Group Moderator
And years ago I would have recommended a Linux distro whose full name forum rules prevent me from writing but I believe D**n Small Linux is no longer maintained.

Each Linux user can site and debate why his choice is best but it just boils down to a better type of OS what ever flavor. Some would even cite Mac as a distant cousin of Linux but that is a whole other debate.

On the other hand Windows users can site much more wide spread familiarity making help easier to find.

Old 09-10-11, 01:36 PM
Question

any further opinion as to whether i should attempt the CMOS battery replacement?
the reason I ask, - !
it appears to quite involved- as in - the mother board must be removed, & every thing else to get to the MB !! ??
(if you 'google' hp zx4400 -CMOS battery )

Old 09-10-11, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
I sure wouldn't do that until you find out if it works using one of the Live Cds. It may be a little slow running off the CD (I noticed mine was) but you should find out if everything works and you can access the HD to get the stuff off. If not...pitch it. Just not worth putting time and money into it when you can get an old working laptop for $30-50.

Old 09-10-11, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
I sure wouldn't do that until you find out if it works using one of the Live Cds. It may be a little slow running off the CD (I noticed mine was) but you should find out if everything works and you can access the HD to get the stuff off. If not...pitch it. Just not worth putting time and money into it when you can get an old working laptop for $30-50.
so the live c/d will run - with out the CMOS battery ? correct !

Old 09-10-11, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
Sure Just like you are getting now...all it does is keep the clock and basic setup stuff from going away. Doesn't affect operation of the PC. Back in the old days when a CMOS battery would die...you'd just do an autoconfig and leave power applied til you could get a battery.

You'll have to go to setup and Configure the CD as the first boot device. That would be esc on bootup.

Old 09-10-11, 02:53 PM
? further up in the post, 'Ray' stated that a failed CMOS can cause some of the - will not boot issues i am Having ?

Old 09-10-11, 03:24 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by newtofta View Post
? further up in the post, 'Ray' stated that a failed CMOS can cause some of the - will not boot issues i am Having ?
Unless you go into BIOS and reset to default values it may. If the CMOS battery is bad you will have to reset those every time you remove main power. That is the purpose of the CMOS chip is to remember your settings. The CMOS only remembers as long as you have power. Of course if you can't even get to BIOS when you boot then your probably FUBARed.

I only play a computer expert at home... not on the TV or in forums.

Old 09-11-11, 06:15 AM
Group Moderator
If you just want to get the pictures off the HD get a external cable to hook up the drive to another computer. They are very cheap (about $10) down and dirty way to get info off a drive. No enclosure.

Old 09-11-11, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
If you just want to get the pictures off the HD get a external cable to hook up the drive to another computer. They are very cheap (about $10) down and dirty way to get info off a drive. No enclosure.
what type of cable do I need? / Ethernet / crossover / SATA / etc ??

Old 09-11-11, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
It is a USB to SATA/IDE adapter. This is the one I have USB to SATA/IDE adapter but there are others out there. Works very well if all you want is to get the info off a drive. Price I a little more than I posted. I must have gotten mine on sale. You will have to remove the HD but in some cases they are behind a panel on the back.

Old 09-11-11, 04:52 PM
Question

In my case,the HD appears to be dead/non responsive ?
might this adapter still work ?

Old 09-11-11, 07:57 PM
Group Moderator
If truly dead no but assuming the disks are not damaged an expert for not much more then the cost of a couple of laptops could place them in a working drive of the same type and recover the info.

Old 09-11-11, 09:22 PM
If truly dead no but assuming the disks are not damaged an expert for not much more then the cost of a couple of laptops could place them in a working drive of the same type and recover the info.
That is good info!
I always wondered how someone could recover info from a dead/failed HD !!
now I know !
thanks
that might make a good X mas present for the Owner !

Old 09-17-11, 08:49 PM
There is always the possibility of the freezer trick. I am still quite skeptical despite all of the 'success' stories I have read. However, I will be able to vouch for one drive one way or the other. Currently, it has been in there for over 5 hours and I intend to leave it in for at least 24 hours. The drive spins up, but is exhibiting the click of death and cannot be recognized by any drive utility. There is data on there that is very important to a client and rather than just giving them tragic news I figured I would try a last ditch effort.

May not work, but if the drive is dead it's at least worth a shot in my opinion.