Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Browser locks up

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-06-01, 06:33 PM   #1  
I am running win98 my computer has 64mb ram and a AMD-K6-2/ 333 processer. My video card is a Picasso 740 with Intel 740 chipset 3d APG 2X graphics. When i surf the net my browser almost seems to studder when i scroll. The image on the screen will double up as i scroll and the browser locks up on me.This happens mostly if not only when there are pics on the site. I have to reboot each time this happens. I use both IE and Netscape nav. I have noticed that my system resources are about 70 -80 % while i surf. Could this be a lack of ram problem?
Thanks
Kevin

Sponsored Links

CANADA

01-06-01, 07:04 PM   #2  
Originally posted by ffextreme
I am running win98 my computer has 64mb ram and a AMD-K6-2/ 333 processer. My video card is a Picasso 740 with Intel 740 chipset 3d APG 2X graphics. When i surf the net my browser almost seems to studder when i scroll. The image on the screen will double up as i scroll and the browser locks up on me.This happens mostly if not only when there are pics on the site. I have to reboot each time this happens. I use both IE and Netscape nav. I have noticed that my system resources are about 70 -80 % while i surf. Could this be a lack of ram problem?
Thanks
Kevin
64 megs is not bad for memory depending what all is running at the same time, what else is running at the same time,
look at start/programs/start up/ what is listed. Take everything out of this , you can put them back later, disable the autorun and autoprotect of any antivirus that you may have, you can re-enable it later. Close out any autorun programs that you have, and try it again, any inpovement ?
If there is , then perhaps resources could be a factor, in which case don't autorun anything that you don't really need to. Now the next thing is , do you have the same problem when using IE or netscape ? What kind of internet connection do you have ? Are you using a home network ?
You have a good processor and ram , so please repost your findings and answers and I will get back to you. Oh one more thing, has it ever worked ok for IE or netscape, and if so, what has gone on between when it did work and now, ie... uninstalls, installs, new hardware, etc.

CANADA

01-06-01, 07:04 PM   #3  
ohn another things what is in your systems box, in the bottom right.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-06-01, 07:15 PM   #4  
lock up

Thanks for the reply, I have the problem with both net and ie. and yes both worked fine in the past. My systems box has a program called hyper pen wich is for my mouse and drawing pad, Volume control, callwave (a internet answering machine)and my dialup connection. As far as what new dl and uninstalls since it last worked godd. WHO KNOWS!!!! I dl and install sooooo much junk i couldnt remember. I do surf with a few window open at the same time on different sites but i have always done this. When i remove the programs from the startup is this where the systray is? If so I think I remember reading once not to remove that. Is that true?.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-06-01, 07:19 PM   #5  
lock up

Ok I looked in the start up and there are only 2 things in there Call wave and power reg scheduler.exe I dont know what the power reg scheduler is for.

Admin Emeritus

CAL

01-06-01, 07:34 PM   #6  
My Two Cents Worth

Hi:ffextreme

For whatever my two cents is worth here, I suggest you get more ram.

64 sounds like a lot but just having windows eats lots. Add in virus protection, both browers, the clock and any other program running and your close to the end.

64 megs is the starting ram prior to even turning on the computer. Loading up all those icons you see near the clock and those that have to be running in the background eat up tons of ram.

Your computer is trying to find places to dump all the information it's getting while your surfing the net. That's why it is shuddering. Buy more ram. You'll be glad you did.

In the mean time, select either browser and dump the other. You really don't need them both. Running either one, but not together, in the same session, prior to rebooting, may be part of the problem too. Better known as conflicts.

Then run the maintenance utilities often. Avoid shutting off any program that you didn't install from a CD, floppy or download from the web! Shutting off the incorrect ones can cause you severe problems. Remove any program you installed from a CD <like games, etc.> but NOT the virus software. It should be running, just in case!

The percentages displayed by the resource meter are somewhat too low for continous web surfing, in my opinion.
Get the resources up with an increase in ram and the continous readings your taking and restarting your doing will be a thing of the past.

Once I increased my computers ram, I now can use this contraption all day without ever rebooting. Although there were times in the past, before the ram increase, I would liked to physically BOOTED it just for general principles...hahaha...:-)

Good Luck,
Tom

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-06-01, 07:40 PM   #7  
Thanks Tom, I was going to try the ram anyway. I am going to a show tomorrow morning and i think ill pick up another 64mb. I would love to get rid of IE. How do you do it! I was told because of MS you cant remove it from the computer without a problem.
Kevin

CANADA

01-06-01, 08:16 PM   #8  

I do not recommend getting rid of IE , you don't have to use it , but don't get rid of it. The only thing I was trying to do is to see if there was an improvement with less running, and therefore pinpointing a resource problem. More ram never hurt anyway, and if are in a habit of using a lot of windows at the same time, then more memory certainly will benifit you.

I find on a personal level, that every so often I redo my system and the only thing I lose is a 1/2 day of work, and it usually solves most all problems. A lot of people don't like to do that, or fear it, but it is not that difficult.

If you can solve your problems thru more memory than great, memory is something that never goes to waste, you can always use it.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-06-01, 08:25 PM   #9  
lock up

Thanks Dkerr, I will try a major system cleanup if the ram thing doent work out. I have done it in the past am im not looking forward to doing it again!
Thanks
Kevin

Visiting Guest

01-07-01, 02:15 PM   #10  
bigmike
First off when is the last time you updated the video drivers on the computer? I couldn't even find that card on the net. How many megs of video ram are on the card? Sounds more like running out of video mem than system resource. I average 70% on my system and that is enough for the net. A big game would however be a different story. Win 98 what version? I would highly recomend going to Win 98 SE (second edition) I also recomend replaceing that card with something more in the line of 8 megs or more for the net today. You also may be having a problem with the scripting on the page. Not much help eh? When did you defrag/scandisk last? Should be done weekly. What version of IE and Netjunk (sorry)? Sounds like driver problems, time to upgrade...

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-07-01, 06:23 PM   #11  
lock up

Thanks for the input Mike, The cards drivers are ao the companys page its made by Eon Tronics. It is a 8mb card. I have had it for a little less than a year. I have not updated the drivers since i have owned it. I did try to look into it but I found the driver page confussing (sorry im a little dumb with this stuff) so I didnt understand whice driver was for my card. I did defrag/scandisk about 3 weeks ago. My IE is ver 5.0 and Netscape is 4.7 I tried 6 and didnt really like it. I think im going to have to wipe the computer and start from scratch!
Kevin

Search this Thread