Receivce email but can't send. Stays in Outbox. Windows Mail. Vista

Old 09-19-11, 02:47 PM
Receivce email but can't send. Stays in Outbox. Windows Mail. Vista

I am trying to help a senior that lives near me with her email. She is running Vista and uses the Windows Mail program. There is no problem receiving mail but when trying to send mail it just stays in the outbox. Doesn't show any errors either. I even tried to send one to my address because I know that it is a good address and it didn't go. I am sure that she has just accidently changed a setting on something. I was going to do a restore but there are no restore points older than a few days ago. This started about a week ago. No new programs or hardware changes have happened either. Any ideas I would greatly appreciate. She has DSL service and the DSL provider tested it and said that it was not on their end. Somehow they said they sent one from her to her. Anyway they said it wasn't on their end. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-11, 05:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Go to tools-account settings-open the email account by double clicking on it. Check the SMTP account to see if it is configured correctly. Most likely the correct setting should be SMTP.*isp*.com or net

Old 09-19-11, 07:06 PM
I have already tried this and it is set up correctly. It was also verified when I was checking with the DSL provider. Any other ideas?

Old 09-19-11, 07:59 PM
I have Vista and Windows Mail and the only option I know about is under “Tools” – “Options” – “Send” tab:

there is a check box for “Send Messages Immediately”. Even if that is not checked you should be able to send the message from the outbox by choosing “Send/Receive” at any time. You should also be prompted asking if you want to send messages from your outbox when you exit Windows Mail if there are messages in the outbox.

So if the messages are just stuck in the outbox there is a known bug:

Messages may be stuck in the Outbox when you use Windows Mail on a computer that is running Windows Vista

Link might help.

Old 09-19-11, 10:56 PM
I think Zoesdad gave you correct information. However you just might be better off using another mail program like mozilla thunderbird available at http://www.mozill.org . A link to the download will be right on the page and it is very easy to set up and easy to use too. After you download it up you will need to help your elderly friend to copy her contacts over to thunderbird and then copy and paste the outgoing e-mail as it isn't automatic. Then if she still might want to use Microsofts program she will still have her outgoing e-mail. I think though she will be very pleased with the program I know I am. Good luck to you.

Old 09-20-11, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
And having been on the Net since about '95 I would suggest Google Mail rather then a mail program on her computer. From my observation Google doesn't have the problems the other two members of the big three of web mail do. Simple to use and she can set it to automatically retrieve POP mail from her ISP.

Old 09-20-11, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator
I've had problems where it was just one email that was holding up the line.
Try moving them to another folder (maybe the deleted items) temporarily and then try sending a new one out. If it goes thru, then it's probably the oldest one that's the problem.
Not sure if this will help, but worth a try.

Old 09-20-11, 09:36 AM
That's what's great about the forum. You get to hear about software that people use and like. (Think I'll give both Thunderbird and Google Mail a shot when I get a chance.)

Maybe it would be better for kmeyer to just switch the senior over to another mail program? Didn't think of that.

Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
I've had problems where it was just one email that was holding up the line.
Try moving them to another folder (maybe the deleted items) temporarily and then try sending a new one out. If it goes thru, then it's probably the oldest one that's the problem.
Not sure if this will help, but worth a try.
That sounds like a good idea to me IMHO. I thought I had done a perfect (lol) software job once. Part of my stuff, as an ancillary function, I would maintain queues of data to send out serial ports to other collocated pc’s, to keep them up to date with the currently prime-operational pc. One day, on one system while looking for another problem, I noticed there was a large 2-month old (oh my) queue to another pc. Whaaaatt???

Turns out if there was a handling or transmission error (very rare) with the particular message represented by the queue entry, I handled the error mostly OK, but forgot to remove the queue entry!

So it would block the entire queue, the system attempting to transmit the same message over and over. But the queue was entirely invisible to the user, so they never knew what was happening. (Good thing they didn’t need to switch to a backup pc during that period – it would not have been up to date!)

But I agree, it would be worth a try to see if you can remove messages manually from the output queue. That might get it going.

Last edited by zoesdad; 09-20-11 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-20-11, 09:59 AM
When I first got on the 'net I opened a Juno mail account. I stopped using that almost immediately because of the spam. Then I opened a completely fictitious Yahoo account that is still my main mail program. Since then I have opened a second Yahoo, an MSN and lastly, a Gmail. Quite honestly, they all have worked well for me. I also had a company E-mail account, an Earthlink, a Comcast, a Verizon and now a Frontier. I have always preferred the Internet mail services to the ISP services for several reasons, not the least of which is faster and quicker access. Another reason NOT to use the ISP mail is the problems it causes when you switch ISPs.

Old 09-21-11, 11:40 AM
can't delet one email from outbox??

Well I tried moving all of the emails that were staying in the outbox to the deleted folder and all of them moved except one of them. The one that is still in the outbox won't move, I can't delete it, and I can't send it. It seems to be stuck. I just get a message that an error has occured.

Any idea how I can get rid of this particular email? Can the windows mail program be reloaded? I think this one email is what is causing all of the problem. If I could get rid of it I think everything would be ok. Is this email stored in a file that I can access through explore?

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-21-11, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
No Guru....but that would really concern me. Have you run a good anti-virus and anti-malware program?

Old 09-21-11, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by kmeyer301 View Post

Any idea how I can get rid of this particular email? Can the windows mail program be reloaded? I think this one email is what is causing all of the problem. If I could get rid of it I think everything would be ok. Is this email stored in a file that I can access through explore?

Thanks for the help.
You and I are thinking exactly the same. I made a note to look into exactly what you are talking about. I’m not a pc expert but my first thoughts are Windows Mail is totally integrated into Windows Vista and can’t be separated out. But I was wondering also about getting rid of email(s) stuck in the queue, like maybe removing a file containing an email(s).

But maybe the only hope is to either download that fix for the Vista mail bug posted earlier (but I admit I really didn’t totally read their explanation and the explanation of the fix) or to drop back to an earlier restore point. But I guess you already tried the restore point, and there would be no guarantee anyway that a restore point wouldn’t have the same bug. Probably would.

If I find out how to get rid of a problematic email I’ll post back right away. (or maybe some of the other folks might like to see if they can figure out how to do it!)

Or maybe like Vic is thinking – maybe a virus or something?

Old 09-22-11, 04:42 AM
Group Moderator
FWIW I have a similar problem with emails that's occuring right now. I have two email accounts that come into my Windows Mail (Win7). One is my personal email [[email protected]] and the other one via my business website [[email protected]]. They use different servers. I never have trouble with the verizon account, but the one through my website server account locks up from time to time and I can send but not receive; it's doing that right now. Haven't had time to wrestle with the help desk @ the provider to figure it out, but will post back any info as I get it. When I first saw this thread I was hoping to pick up a hint.

So far I've tried some of the generic fixes to no avail, so guess it's time to call helpdesk.

Old 09-22-11, 07:44 AM
I used to have a similar problem - undeletable messages - using Thunderbird but they were showing up when trying to fetch. Stopped the email client cold.. Turned out it was a series of malicious message on the mail server. The only way to get rid of them was to log into the email account using a webmail client. The emails all "looked" normal through the webmail UI, so I just deleted everything from addresses I didn't recognize. It's highly likely your friend's account uses IMAP rather than POP which means the message(s) remain on the server until you delete them. In this case, something about the message is preventing the delete command from being executed by the server through IMAP which is why you cannot get rid of it. If you have webmail access, try that. Otherwise, the help desk at the ISP can clear it.

Good luck.

Old 09-23-11, 04:46 AM
Group Moderator
Okay, got off my duff and browsed the help on my host's site (Hostica); found the fix by changing outgoing port from 25 to 587. I'm guessing maybe the OP has some similar hangup.