Motorola SBG901 cable modem

Old 09-27-11, 06:56 AM
Question Motorola SBG901 cable modem

I purchased this modem based on customer reviews, & I wanted a modem that had WiFi capability.(the cable co. rental did not do WiFi)
I cannot find any instructions, that are in layman's terms on how to configure it for WiFi.
the included installation c/d only gets you online ! by way of the p/c & that's it.
the online user manual only gives you specs'data as to that settings do what.
but nothing 'I' can understand.

any one out there have experience with this modem,
or any suggestions ?

thanks
mike

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-11, 03:42 PM
I don't have this particular modem but looked it up using Yahoo and found it on Newegg. I know when Verizon installed my router they used a cable something like a tv antenna wire and I think you should do the same as the tech who came to my house said that was the best way. If your cable modem is hooked up that way just get a signal splitter and hook both of them up to the same source. As for wifi and connecting it to a laptop look for something that says SSID and Wep. Your laptop if it is fairly new should have a wifi card already in the laptop so read the instructions that came with your laptop as to how to configure the laptop. I have a Dell with an internal card and could walk you through the process but if you don't have a Dell laptop my information would be useless to you. Don't forget to install good anti virus and a good firewall if you are using anything less than Windows 7. Windows 7 firewall I think is good enough on its own but Windows XPs was a bit lacking. Good luck to you and if you have any other questions please ask. I or someone else will try to help you.

Old 09-27-11, 04:16 PM
I can't offer any help but is this the user's guide that you find so confusing?

http://help.cableone.net/HSD/Modem/P...User_Guide.pdf

Old 09-27-11, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Furd View Post
I can't offer any help but is this the user's guide that you find so confusing?

http://help.cableone.net/HSD/Modem/P...User_Guide.pdf
yes, it is. i found this, i do not understand , for instance - pages 39-49 .
this is more technical than i am ?
I admit I am not a computer guru, so I was looking for some simpler instructions.?

Last edited by newtofta; 09-27-11 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-27-11, 06:18 PM
Question

my cell phone recognizes the modem signal. as "Motorola cdb16 ".
I enter the pass-code numbers on the label, but the phone can not connect to the modem. / pass code denied ??
I have tried multiple times ?
must have some thing to do with the modems built in firewall/security ?(page 52) ?

the instructions for wireless start at 61 - this is more that i can not comprehend ?

with the old DSL modem i had, you entered the code & that was it ??

Last edited by newtofta; 09-27-11 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-29-11, 07:05 PM
I don't have a smart phone like you do but have a Dell Axim that can go on the internet in a limited way and now that I know you have a smart phone I think I can give you a start anyway. Your problem as I see it isn't in the router but with your cell phone which needs to be configured for wifi. I have heard for instance that the Iphone can be configured for wifi use so you need the ssid and the wpa settings from your router as your router doesn't have wep settings according to the link furd gave us. So not knowing what phone you have I can't help you but you can help yourself by looking in your phones manual for information on configuring wifi as all phones are different. If you have lost your manual use Google or Yahoo search and put in your model number of your phone and manufacturer and then the words manual. Most manufacturers keep manuals online in pdf format online in case you lose your manual. Good luck to you!

Old 09-30-11, 10:00 PM
Thumbs up

hedgexxx, thanks,
I have been tinkering with this thing for days, with no results.
tomorrow, i will give this a try !

Old 10-22-11, 08:28 PM
Hi Newtofta I have been wondering if you got your modem issue figured out. Like I said I am by no means an expert on smart phones but thought I had remembered right about what I heard but wasn't sure. So if you have time to post please do so as it might help someone else who has had the same problem. I am also very curious and would really like to know too. Have a nice day!