GeekSquad fixed my puter and I am miserable -- help! please.

Old 09-27-11, 04:58 PM
GeekSquad fixed my puter and I am miserable -- help! please.

Apparently it had two viruses and the GeekSquad took them off but only if I bought a year long service agreement. So I did. I have had to rearrange everything and still no sound. The screen changes after about a minute of being on the computer by reducing size it seems. It happens so fast, I can't really tell. Sometimes I have sound from my puter speaker but then the screen changes and no more sound. My Inland Pro 2000 speakers do not work now, at all, although they do on a friends puter, just not this one. They are not USB but the other type of plug in. I have two slots (holes) on the back and one on the front and my puter does not recognize the speakers on any of them.

I have a Dell with Windows XP Pro. Bought it used about 3 years ago with no problems. It's been wonderful until the viruses got me. Then GeekSquad. Yes, I have a service with tech support but calling them up and being told it's going to be 2 hours for a response then being asked what's wrong only to be told I have to wait again till a tech is free who deals with that problem. I feel like I just threw away $200 -- well, I believe they did get rid of the viruses but I'm left with a half-wit for a puter -- very unhappy.

Can you guys help me with the sound issue with my speakers, please?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-11, 09:38 PM
Have you talked to Geek Squad about this matter and asked them what they are going to do to correct the problems they introduced? Inform them that they forced you to purchase a maintenance agreement and you expect them to honor it. Be sure to record names, dates and times of any telephone calls. If they give you any grief, tell them you want to cancel their worthless contract and request refund of your money. Don't expect a lot of cooperation on that.

If you paid by credit card, contact your bank and explain the situation. They will likely refund your money and then go through their channels to get it back from Geek Squad.

Whatever else you do, confront them with your dissatisfaction. Whining about the situation here on the forums won't accomplish anything truly useful and good.

Old 09-28-11, 01:41 AM
I have to agree cancel the contract and then come back here to this forum and we can help you. Or at least try to get them to fix the problem and if they don't then don't just call your credit card company if they don't give you your money back call your attorney generals office of consumer protection. Then if they don't fix it I or others can help you fix your problem but call GeekSquad first after all they caused your problem and they should fix it.

Old 09-28-11, 07:22 AM
Group Moderator
I'm with Doug - demand Geek Squad fixes your computer. If they can't/won't, then pursue a refund with disputing the charge with your credit card company as the last resort (you did put this on a credit card, right?).

Old 09-28-11, 03:55 PM
You guys are fun. Yes! I did put it on a credit card. I have to take my puter 30+ miles one way to have them fix it but I believe that may be the only way. And, I have to leave it so that means another round trip of 60+ miles with a pick up -- ce la vie.

I will do just that and see what happens. I may be back.

Thanks everyone!

Old 09-29-11, 06:48 AM
Group Moderator
You could lean on them about the distance you have to travel - may not amount to anything but it never hurts to ask.

Old 09-29-11, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Apparently it had two viruses and the GeekSquad took them off but only if I bought a year long service agreement.
That sounds illegal to me. You mean they wouldn't fix the problem with the price of a service call and instead threatened not to fix it without the contract? I would've kicked the guy out and called the supervisor. I'm sure there's a way to get out of this contract.

Old 10-01-11, 11:10 AM
Never heard of the contract issue. A friend of mine works at Best Buy as a Geek Squad tech and he has told me about his job a bit, and while making it mostly sound like generally overpriced service, he never mentioned requiring users to enter a contract. Not saying it isn't the case but I have never heard of it before. I'm with Shadeladie, and when you go back I would request to speak with a manager about the issue.

Old 10-01-11, 12:22 PM
I took it into Best Buy to have it fixed. After a couple of days, I called and they said they had found 2 viruses and that's what the $70 paid for was diagnosistic service - not removal. If I wanted them removed, I would have to buy a year or two year contract. The $70 would go towards the contract and I would only owe $130 for a year contract. Then, they would remove the viruses at no cost.

I was looking at driving back in to pick up my computer and taking it somewhere else (this is what I should have done) and felt trapped. The time frame to get it evaluated by another repair place plus the gas money driving in and back again and taking it somewhere else really made me mad but I was trapped.

Thanks all, I have to go into town on the 20th and will have a chat with the manager but also will take my puter and speakers in for them to fix whatever they did. If they are willing to return my money, I will then take it somewhere else. AND FOREVER MORE.

Old 10-01-11, 10:25 PM
Just out of curiosity, what were the terms of this contract?