VPN Software

Old 10-03-11, 10:02 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
VPN Software

Ok, here is what I want to do, and currently I do it using Remote Desktop. I have 3 computers running running Windows 7 Ultimate, and two computers running Windows XP pro. I want to step away from Remote Desktop and begin using a VPN, but I don't know of any good or free VPN programs to use, or even how to set up a VPN. I don't like logmein, I've tried it, and find it's somewhat annoying for me. So I would like to set up a VPN. I forgot to mention that one computer just happens to be a server with all of our pic, and documents on it. Any suggestions as far as VPN software goes?

Old 10-04-11, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well I have three possible suggestions. First there is the option of what I have been doing. This is a little on the technical side, but you can set SSH up on windows to create an encrypted tunnel to remotely control your PCs. You can then run a program such as TightVNC to use the GUI. The upsides of this, you have complete control over all of it. You can raise or lower the levels of security by preventing password logins and requiring a key file. You can securely transfer files via SCP. The downsides, it can be complicated, you need to forward ports on your home router, and you need to know when your IP address changes or use a Dynamic DNS. To use this method you will need CYGWIN to setup the SSH daemon on the home PC, PuTTY to connect to the PC, TightVNC on both PCs to use the GUI, WinSCP for easy file transfers, and PuTTY Gen to generate secure keys.
Here is a link to the first tutorial I used to get setup doing this the first time. It is very self explanatory and easy to follow, and you can change things a little as you go to set up better security.
The Guide
CYGWIN
PuTTY
WinSCP
TighVNC

Second option is what my intentions are to do here in a couple weeks. Buy a nice router that is DD-WRT compatible such as this one: Router

Then choose a new Router OS such as DD-WRT, OpenWRT and then follow their detailed instructions for installation.

DD-WRT
OpenWRT

Then setup a PPTP VPN for use with the systems. I cannot give you too much details on setup yet, as I have not done this myself yet, but will be in a couple of weeks. Basically it will require some reading.

Last option is to setup a server (Ubuntu makes this easy, though it could be done on windows as well with OpenVPN) and then set up a VPN that way.

OpenVPN
Some guides for setting up VPN Server on Ubuntu
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenVPN
OpenVPN server -
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VPNServer

Hope this helps and good luck to you.

Old 10-04-11, 07:00 PM
Z
Received 86 Votes on 80 Posts
Donít want to sidetrack this thread, but I was always wondering about an application like TightVNC. How is the response time with TightVNC? I assume it must be pretty good. It always seemed to me there would be very annoying delays - but I guess not. Sounds very useful.

Old 10-05-11, 09:51 AM
The response time depends on two primary factors, the speed of each connection and the quality of the image being transferred. Also of course the speed of the systems themselves. So I guess three main factors. On a side note, while TightVNC includes its own encryption, I prefer to run it through a tunnel for better security. When setting it up like this make sure that it only accepts loopback connections.

Old 10-05-11, 06:25 PM
Z
Received 86 Votes on 80 Posts
Thanks for the info Spikester. I have a little learning to do. Good start here.

Old 10-09-11, 08:28 PM
N
I like your idea. I currently have a Linksys WRT54GL with dd-WRT vpn installed and I run a VPN tunnel into the router become a connection on the LAN and then I have access to all my shared folders or other computers on the LAN. If your router resides behind a DSL modem you will need to bridge the DSL modem which makes it a simple-through-put device. Then you need to setup the PP0E to be accomplished by your dd-WRT router instead of the DSL modem.

I also have my router doing a WOL (wake on LAN) to the desktop that is ethernet connected to the router on the off chance that the desktop is not running I can start it from the router.

Since I run and test Ubuntu and Windoz XP, I have made sure that I can run remote desktop and rdesktop on both. Never know which I might need.

Recently, I had to fix a computer problem at my mom's house across town so I used her ethernet and my laptop to connected to my home VPN .. It worked .. So while driving home laptop on and searching I found an unsecure wireless and connected again just as for testing.. Here is a good link for starting the road warrior VPN using dd-WRT, simple remote desktop and WOL.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/co...-software.html

Old 10-10-11, 05:06 AM
Very good points, however, just to let you know, that link circles back to this thread.

Old 10-10-11, 10:13 AM
N
Old 10-10-11, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by nm_geo View Post

Very nice article, good link geo!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: