no internet

Old 10-13-11, 04:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
no internet

Yesterday while I was online my computer shut down. At first I thought it was a power outage but nothing else lost power. When I turned the pc back on everything worked fine except I couldn't get online

Both firefox and IE say the page can't be found. Trouble shooting says I need to 'renew my IP address' but that can't be done and I need to see the network administrator

Any ideas on what happened? and how to fix it? I had to drag out one of the kid's old computer - it works but it sure is slow, almost like being back on dial up

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-11, 05:42 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Internet

I would call the internet service provider. Mine went down a couple of months ago. After I checked all my connections, I called my ISP and they did something on their end to fix it. Good luck. Hope you get the problem fixed soon. Let us know the outcome.

Old 10-13-11, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is you Internet connection? Cable? DSL?

If you are cable (since thats all I've ever had) and have the typical router after the modem connected to the PC with an ethernet cable...then it shouldn't be the ISP that is the problem, since the old PC apparently works.

What OS are you using? XP, Vista?

I'd probably just run your "Setup new network connection" in control panel and see what you find.

Old 10-13-11, 06:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have cable [fiber optic] As far as I know, I don't have a router - the cable plugs directly into the back of the pc. To use the old computer I just unplugged the cables from the back and plugged them into the other pc. I have XP on both.

I tried the 'create a new connection' under network connections and it says my IP address needs to be renewed, when clicking on that, it tries for awhile and then says it can't and I need to see the administrator.

Where the ethernet cable plugs into the back of the pc, it looks like a metal rectangular box that is connected to a circuit board. Could this piece be bad? is it replaceable? it feels like it's pretty securely attached so I'm not sure how to remove it.

Old 10-13-11, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
If its over near the other connectors for mouse, kybd, video etc, it's probably an ethernet connection directly on the motherboard....no it can't be replaced. You can buy a new ethernet card that will plug into one of the expansion slots. Prob about $10. But I doubt thats the issue.

I don't know what the "IP renewed" thing is all about.

I'd probably delete the devices related to networking in the control panel and see if they come back after a restart.....but you might want to wait for someone a little more techie than me.

I can do it, but can't explain it that well.

Old 10-13-11, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
I've had similar issues and something always needed to be reset. Does the box have any sort of reset button? I've also unplugged the cable/s, shut down the computer, restarted, then reconnected the cable/s, and then it worked again.
I've also had to call my ISP to have it reset from their end, when nothing else worked.

Old 10-13-11, 06:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"I can do it, but can't explain it that well"

I'm not much good at either
What little bit I know about operating a computer [and minor repairs] I learned from being a member here. Before I retired, the only thing I knew about a computer was how to cover it up when painting an office. My oldest son's friend is a computer whiz so if nothing else maybe I can get him over here to fix it

Shadie, that's one of the first things I tried - flipping the on/off switch at the back of the pc. It's almost always cured any issues in the past, just not this one

Old 10-13-11, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator
But the old PC is working using the same connections...so the problem has to be with the PC, not the connection. AFAIK anyway.

Old 10-13-11, 07:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have cable [fiber optic] As far as I know, I don't have a router - the cable plugs directly into the back of the pc.
AFAIK there's got to be a cable modem somewhere. You need to reboot it by removing power then reconnecting power. Where does that Ethernet cable come from. The cable does have a square plug that looks a bit like a phone plug doesn't it?

Old 10-13-11, 07:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ray, I switched the power switch on and off and that didn't help. To make things easy when I switched computers, I pulled the plug out of the back of the PC and plugged it into the old PC. I also hooked up my PC again yesterday evening to see if it had some how magically fixed it self but it still won't connect to the internet.

The internet cable comes out of the floor, directly to the PC. It's the wire they installed thru the crawlspace from the cable they brought in from the street [under the power line] It does look similar to a phone plug.

Old 10-13-11, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
If its working with the old PC...then it's working. Rebooting the modem (maybe in the box outside connected to the actual cable line?) shouldn't really do anything.

Not sure what kind of setup you have, but the regular cable (whether it be fiber or coax) has to run to a box somewhere that converts it to an ethernet type connection. Odd you don't have one somewhere...that was always the way it was with me, you could rent theirs and they would upgrade or replace it free (just like a cable box)...or you could buy your own.

Most cable systems only run fiber to the "distribution box", whether thats feeding one home or 10...then it converts to regular RG-6 coax. I have heard of some places that have fiber all the way to the house, but I thought that was just the phone companies?

Old 10-13-11, 09:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Up until a few yrs ago, dial up was the only internet available [not counting overpriced satellite] About 5 yrs ago the electric company started an effort to connect all their customers to high speed internet. I got their package deal [phone,cable,internet] when it became available at my location. They ran a new lines from the pole at the street to the pole next to my barn and then to the house. There are 2 boxes mounted next to the meter, 1 is a battery back up for the phone and the other has 1 cable from the pole [plus a ground wire], 2 from the digital elec meter, 1 cable for the TV, 1 cable for the phone and 1 cable that goes into the crawlspace [internet]

..... anyway, that's how it's setup but since the internet works on the old PC, I assume it's a problem with my PC and not the service.

Old 10-13-11, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
I wonder if you have a modem in the crawlspace? Regardless, I think this has been determined to be a PC problem. Have you tried a system restore to a date when it still worked?

Old 10-13-11, 10:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, I helped the guy run the cable into the crawlspace all the way to my office where it comes in behind cabinet drawers and thru the desk top. Not sure I'd be able to identify a modem if it fell on me but it would either have to be in the PC or the box next to the meter. Best I can tell, the 1 cable that goes in handles TV, phone and internet and then they separate in that box and come out in separate dedicated cables.

I was going to use system restore when that computer was still hooked up..... and then forgot I'll try that sometime late today and see how it goes.

Old 10-13-11, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah....you probably have fiber to the box outside then it has a unit that splits everything.

Old 10-13-11, 10:57 AM
Mark - Have you popped the cover off the PC and looked for an internal modem? It would be in the slot where your cable enters the PC.

Old 10-13-11, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
If he's using an Ethernet cable, it doesn't have an internal modem. At least, not one thats being used.

Hey Mark...whats the brand and model #?

Old 10-13-11, 11:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've had the cover off trying to figure out what's what....not that I'd know

But Mitch hit the nail square on the head, I hooked my PC back up, backed system restore to last sunday and now I'm online using my computer!!!

I'm using a Cybertron with an AMD processor. Still curious as to what happened and why.

Old 10-13-11, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
You probably got some sort of auto update that messed with the driver for the Ethernet stuff. Think there was another member having issues after an update also.

I think mine gets updates on Wed as well.

Could have been running in the background and did the shutdown (normally required) while you were working online.

Check your updates and see how you have it set. Think its something like "notify if available", "download, but don't install", and "download and install automatically". I use the second one.

Old 10-13-11, 12:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, mine download and install automatically. Sometimes it will ask if I'm ready to shut down so it can update or postpone it. I didn't get any message like that but when I did shut it down, after the internet quit working, I got the box that said don't unplug the pc and it showed 7 updates being installed. Since the updates were installed after I lost the internet I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with it - but it is working

Old 10-16-11, 10:34 PM
Maksr I have had the same problem with my internet and I have Windows Xp and Verizon Fios. I will give you a tip that should solve your network problem next time but doing a system restore wasn't a bad idea either. Here is what I would do Go to your start menu and see where it says settings? Click on Settings and then look for your local area Connection that is where your network card is it might say Broadcom although there are other manufacturers of the card. Right click on the card and then you will see where it says repair click on repair and wait for it to finish the repair. Sometimes if the connection gets interuppted suddenly the card will not work right when you turn the computer back on. It is rare but it happens and this usually but not always does the trick. I have a question for you are you anywhere near Maryville Tennesee? I ask because I saw you were wrighting from Tennesee and perhaps my friend might want to get connected to the same service you have at some point in time. He has dial up there but dial up has been lousy there of late and he has a tough time getting a good enough connection. Anyway I was just curious so I thought I would kill two birds with one stone as the old saying goes and try to help you and my friend too. Glad your connection is back up I know how annoying that can be. Have a nice day!

Old 10-17-11, 05:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"but dial up has been lousy there of late"

was it ever good ??
For along time, dial up was my only option I'm not sure how far away Maryville is but it isn't close to this service area. The internet package deal I have is offered by our local electric company and is only available to their customers - one county only [I think] It did cause Charter to lower their prices and offer package deals of their own. I don't know if there is much difference [other than price] between the dial up providers but once hi speed becomes available by more than 1 company - prices will go down

Either the LAN/ hi speed connection doesn't show who the ISP is or I'm too dumb to recognize it but that is where I went and used the repair function - it just didn't help

Old 10-17-11, 02:30 PM
Thank you Marksr it sounds like my friend is out of the service area. They don't even have Charter cable where they live at least part of the time, they have a house up north too that they are going to sell soon. I agree dial up never really has been great and I am glad to be rid of it although when the lights go out it can be helpful as FIOS will not work without electricity. Had you thought about mifi from a company like Verizon or Sprint? My friend says it is better for him and I think he is going to switch to that. If anybody has any views on that using cell phone signals please comment. Have a nice day!

Old 10-17-11, 05:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know about today but all the cell phone company's internets were not available at my location Same thing with DSL. Charter used to really bug me, they'd send me mail every month wanting me to switch to their services but if I called them they would say I was at an unserviceable address, I think they finally quit sending me junk about the time the elec co run the fiber optic cable on my road

I do miss DIRECTV but I'm saving $15 a month and have hi speed instead of dial up