Virus?

Old 10-13-11, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Virus?

Hi all,

Don't have a lot of experience with viruses so here goes. We have the internet and e-mail through are cable provider. The cable provider also gave us anti virus software to install which I did about 8 months ago. We also have a wireless router hooked up to the pc for our mobile stuff. It seems that we opened up our e-mail about a month ago and somehow a randomly generated e-mail was produced and sent to about 6 of our friends. While we do not keep any e-mail addresses in our address book it still randomly accessed some. Hasn't happened again until last night another one was generated ( different subject) and sent to a bunch of people, some of them we do not even no who they are or have ever received an e-mail from. Any ideas how this can happen and what to do. I will be calling the cable company to see if they have any reccomendations. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-11, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have you run a full scan using your installed AV software? Not just the automatic protection...but a full system scan?

You might want to try a program like Malwarebytes...it will remove that kind of junk. Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download

I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials (free at the MS site) and it has also performed quite well.

I don't like using the stuff the ISP gives you as part of their service. Many of them are resource hogs on your PC and just don't perform all that well.

Old 10-13-11, 09:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
This does sound like a virus. What anti-virus program did your ISP provide? Are you using anything else in addition?

Old 10-13-11, 12:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Even if you don't have an address book associated with your email program, the computer will remember everyone you have ever sent an email to. For instance, in Outlook if I hit "to" my address book will come up and I choose from that. If I just go to the address line and put in a letter, everyone I have ever sent an email to that begins with that letter will show up in a dropdown.