Power Supply Problem?

Old 10-20-11, 10:41 AM
Power Supply Problem?

OK, I had another post going and it's been determined by those here that
I will need to install a new video card so my grandson can
play a game on a computer I am giving to him.
So I looked and my power supply is only a 300 watt unit. The computer is very
basic but I have no idea how much of that 300 watts is being
used at this time.
So my question is if I buy a small video card for him and put in into the slot
what if I don't have enough power to run it. I hate to put out more money for a power supply that may or may not be needed.
What happens?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-11, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Although others may disagree...I say put the card in and try it.

I have an older HP with some added drives, sound card and video card...and it only has a 250W p/s. Works fine...but of course I don't play games either.

I don't think it will hurt anything...but it may run warm, so make sure the interior, fans, and air inlets are clean and the area around the PC is unobstructed.

If you get operational problems that are heat or power related then you could upgrade if necessary.

Old 10-20-11, 12:29 PM
OK, that is sort of what I was wondering, in other words just how much power my basic computer was using in the first place.
I guess I can give it a try.
His father and he are going to install the game and see if it runs. Then we will know what we need to do I guess.

Old 10-20-11, 02:18 PM
OK, I went over to the grand son's home and installed the game. It's a flying game of some sort.
The game tells us that is will run but graphics are being sacrificed for the ability to run the game.
So now I will look for a video card that will do the job without breaking the bank and maybe requiring another power supply.
Thanks for the help!

Old 10-20-11, 02:30 PM
I just found this one and it seems pretty cheap but if I am reading it right this one will work for us. Let me know what you think.
Again, the minimum requirements were 3D accelerated Video wiht 32 MB and DirectX 9 support 1.4 Pixel Shader support.

Newegg.com - MSI N210-D512D2 GeForce 210 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Old 10-20-11, 04:48 PM
The card might work but to tell you better if you could please give me your service tag number maybe I could tell you better. Also please read my other post as you might be able to get a video card that would be better able to handle the computers power suplly from Dell. I would try them first even if it costs a bit more as they usually but not always have a better card for your computer that they can install or you can buy and install yourself. If the computer is too old though then you are better off going another source as Dell will quit support and that includes parts too. I assume though that this is out of warranty already as just opening the computer will void Dells warranty. Good luck to you!

Old 10-20-11, 05:01 PM
Yes the computer was purchased by me and is long out of warranty.
I found a local computer shop that had an older card that they said would work with this unit.
It's a GeForce 6200 so now to give it a try.

Old 10-20-11, 05:24 PM
Wow, I installed the new card, the drivers and all as it stated. Then I bought the program up and all of the sudden it was in black and white instead of color and we had vertical black bars every 1.5" or so across the screen.
So I told myself that maybe I need to uninstall the program as the computer seems normal but that made no change to anything as the screen is still in B & W and I still have the bars.
The rest of the computer seems normal to me so it's got to be related to the game somehow and it's new.
It seems that I am getting nowhere fast with this.

Old 10-20-11, 07:37 PM
OK, well I got the color back and the bars are gone by downloading the latest drivers for my video card that I got for this system.
But now the game runs slow and jerks and such.
I guess we cannot win!
Maybe it's time to return to the motherboard video chip for the kid. At least the game ran normal. All we were trying to do was improve the video and it's apparent that we have failed, somehow.
Very frustrating, to day the least.

Old 10-20-11, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
You have to use the PCI express slot. Not the PCI.

What I did was look up your computer on the dell site. They offered a few cards in the upgrade section for your computer.

Graphics Cards : Computer Components | Dell

Your best bet is to put your service tag in. Find the board they recommend, then find it online cheaper.

Also if you go to the drivers for your computer there are a few other cards that were packaged.

Two are the,

nVidia GeForce8300 GS (128MB DDR2 PCI-Express x16 (DVI/VGA)

nVidia GeForce8600 GT (256MB PCI-Express x16 Dual DVI )

So there you go. The rest is up to you....

Mike NJ

Old 10-20-11, 08:14 PM
I figured it out. The kid went in and made some changes on the game graphics that slowed things up so we have it all right now.
It's all fixed for him now, if he leaves the settings alone.

Old 10-21-11, 03:15 AM
I am glad that everything worked well for you. I have done some work on Dells for myself and they can be frustrating at times as can any brand for that matter I guess that is why I like computers everyone has there own personality. If you do find it slowing down then maybe you would need another power suplly but don't go 50 watts above what you already have in your computer as things can start to really heat up. Wouldn't hurt to have and extra fan installed but then that requires extra power something that can put a strain on the old computer. So a vicious circle isn't it. If that doesn't work out for you Tigerdirect has some really nice kit computers and you could use some of the old components from the old computer like the cd drive to save on money and the keyboard and mouse. I wish you luck and I am glad your child is happy

Old 10-21-11, 03:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Again, just because you said it in two threads, so as to keep from confusing people, for the record you are 100% wrong about sizing a power supply. There is no such thing as too big of a power supply. Too small, absolutely. And of course overkill is a waste of money. But it is 100% impossible for a power supply to be 'too large' for a computer (of the correct form factor of course). No computer has ever 'overheated' or otherwise died from a power supply that was 'too large' or had 'too much wattage'.