I want to sell a laptop without ram or harddrive

Old 10-29-11, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I want to sell a laptop without ram or harddrive

I want to sell a laptop without ram or harddrive. Am I ok on security? I would assume someone can use this machine...or is it worthless? I just hate throwing things out and putting things into land fills.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-11, 07:47 PM
Sure you should be fine as far as security is concerned just removing your hard drive as your ram memory just holds things temporarily. The only reason to keep your ram chips is if you feel you might be able to use it with another laptop but if you will be buying a new laptop you really will not need the memory. I would though include the laptops hard drive tray and connector and just remove the hard drive. Then to really find out if your laptop is worth selling go to e-bay and do a search that would be your best bet.
Once you know it is worth something then as I said include the hard drive connector taped inside the hard drive tray and if you have software that came with your laptop like drivers include them too. If you have a case and don't really want that I would include that too as all of that will add to the value of the laptop. Almost forgot don't forget the power supply as the new owner will want that too to be able to charge the battery.
One last tip after you take pictures of your laptop make sure you box it up and get it weighed as most buyers want things fast and e-bay wants things to go to buyers fast. I hope you add tracking and insurance too as this protects you in case you have problems. I hope these tips help. Good luck to you!

Old 10-29-11, 10:18 PM
hedgeclippers,
Thank you for your response. I did not realize the tray to the harddrive was still attached. However, one of the screws does not seem to get loose. Could it be glued? Any ideas of how to loosen it?

Old 10-30-11, 10:34 PM
The screws that hold the hard drive on the tray shouldn't be glued. You are not trying to remove the screws to the hard drive are you? That would be the only screws that I can think of that are possibly glued in place. There should be just four small screws holding the hard drive to the the hard drive tray. I usually use jewelers screw drivers that you can usually buy at any dollar store real cheap and they are usually philips head screws. Since they are so tiny you don't want to try to use a drill driver or any battery operated device or you could mess up the heads. Sometimes they can be a bit stubborn so pushing down on the screw while removing it helps a great deal.
One other tip I have for you is if the old hard drive is still good I would keep it and look for a usb powered hard drive enclosure for laptop hard drives on tigerdirect.com or newegg.com as they have good prices and quick reliable shipping. You can then use the drive as a storage device and save filling up your new laptops hard drive. Good for backing up things too! If the hard drive is toast though and doesn't work anymore I would drill holes through the case and smash the hard drive with a hammer. That way no one can repair the hard drive and then get data off of it. All of your personal information then will stay in your hands and not be looked at by anyone else . Good luck to you and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Old 10-31-11, 07:05 PM
Well, I finally got the screw to loosen but the head is a bit mangled.

Is the connector the black plastic over some rows of metal teeth?

Old 11-01-11, 08:40 PM
Yes it is and on a Dell laptop anyway, which is what I like the best myself, one side fits on the teeth of the hard drive and the other side there is a line of what looks like gold teeth with no gaps in the plastic. If you haven't already taken it off of the hard drive care needs to be taken especially if you want to save the hard drive as the wires on the hard drive are very delicate. If you take it out slow with your fingers you will not hurt the hard drive. You probably will not see them but at the bottom of the connector there are two little bumps that stick out on each side of the connector. Get your fingers slightly under those bumps and put slight pressure on that and pull carefully up.
If you save the hard drive and use it in a hard drive case then there should be connectors included with the case. As for your shipping of your old laptop if I was you I would use bubble wrap and wrap it around several times. Using paper will not work as well and your buyer will probably want to return the laptop because it was damaged. It also doesn't help if you want to sell more things on e-bay or anywhere else. Just thought I would mention that as I have been disappointed by sellers who just wrapped their computer in paper. Also e-bay wants their sellers to point out any damage so be sure to take plenty of pictures and show it off real good.
I would go by this general rule Like New no scratches or maybe one scratch but not visible and is fully functional. Good has a few scratches and may have some things missing but otherwise works. Fair has many scratches and may or may not work all of the time. Poor has many scratches and is no longer functional and then after you tell them if it is any of the above tell them how long you have had it if it has wifi capabilities(which many people want),what model it is,If anything is missing like in your case the hard drive but you will be including the hard drive connector which will save your customer some money. Good luck to you with your sale!