hard drive problems with dell insporion 530s

Old 11-15-11, 09:16 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hard drive problems with dell insporion 530s

when i start my desk top i get a deskette drive 0 seek failure hard drive montering system reported a parameter has exceeded its normal operating range press f1 to continue f2 to setup. i press f1 to continue boot from cd comes up. then hard drive seek failure appears. any suggestions?
angel

Old 11-15-11, 09:34 AM
B
sounds like your hard drive may have died. but first open the case,with the power cord unplugged and check the cables to the hard drive to make sure they are seated fully. there should be two going to the HD.

Old 11-15-11, 10:52 AM
B
the cables and plugs all look proper and snug

last night i took this problem as an oppurtunity to install a different os after weeks of failure reinstalling windows vista home premium only to get message unallocated space and no further installation of windows. i used a live cd ran a full install ubuntu 11.10 with sucess. after restrting the new os i still get the diskett drive 0 seek failure message as mentioned eailer then the drive boots the new os and runs fine for the first few mins and then disk helth detects problems and warns disk failure imment. could formatting the hard drive help with this since i am given this option and what issues could i have doing this format wiping out drivers and so on? i do not have any disks with this unit only a windows reinstallition disk. (my mother-in-law gave this to me as is after buying a new dell one pc)

Old 11-15-11, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 163 Votes on 130 Posts
If your hard drive is going, formatting it won't do a thing, if you can even actually get to that point. When a hard drive starts dying, it will only get worse and you can't fix it.
Formatting will erase your drive and everything will have to be re-installed. Windows will install the drivers needed.
Using the windows reinstallation disk will do the same thing as formatting, but it will put it back to where it was when first bought.

Old 11-15-11, 11:11 AM
B
thank you. i will look into buying a new drive, till then i will continue with this new os and explore (i am new to the ubuntu os) i would like to learn about the os pros and cons.

Old 11-15-11, 11:20 AM
B
i do have a segate 1tb external drive could i use this as a primary drive with the desktop or will i still need the orginal hard drive to run the computer.

Old 11-15-11, 03:58 PM
H
Brezzeynights I tried installing Windows XP onto an external hard drive on a Dell laptop and it didn't work. The operating system was installed but the laptop could never find the hard drive. I suggest looking at Dells website and seeing what the hard drive parameters are as they sometimes put limits on their motherboards limiting you to the size of the hard drive. Also Dell has online tutorials on how to take the hard drive out and replace it so taking it out is not a big problem. Just be sure to unplug the computer first before poking around in there and try to ground yourself on something so you prevent static discharge from damaging anything inside. It sounds like you have an sata interface with the computer and that is actually better than the older hard drive interfaces that used to be on computers. I say that because you have Windows Vista though and not because I know this particular model real well. You will know though when you open the computer as the older interface had a wide ribbon and the newer one is smaller. If you can get anything off of the old hard drive and save it I suggest you do so as soon as you can and then when finished drill holes in the hard drive and if possible hit it with a sledge hammer. I say that as there are crooks out there who look for old hard drives and find ways of accessing the information on the hard drive. They use the same equipment that data recovery people use only for criminal purposes. I suggest Western Digital as a replacement and suggest you try Newegg.com as their prices seem to be fairly reasonable. Good luck to you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: