yanked/broke ethernet port

Old 11-17-11, 08:49 PM
yanked/broke ethernet port socket

I tripped over the ethernet cable while it was plugged into my laptop, which yanked on and damaged the port (jack socket) into which the RJ45 cable plugs into, so now the cable doesn't snap in tightly he port and falls out easily. It is my understanding that the ethernet port is soldered onto the motherboard and thus is not a part that can be replaced simply. My question is whether if I could acquire a junk used motherboard (from same brand model and series laptop), that might be a source to get an unbroken replacement part and then have an experienced computer repair person change out my broken part with the good one. Or is it likely that the RJ45 port socket is a standard size part that is not necessarily specific to my laptop and could be ordered through someplace like radio shack, and then have the experienced repair person solder in? Any advice/comments appreciated. (Acer Aspire 5315-2142 is the model). thanks

Last edited by sgull; 11-17-11 at 09:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-11, 09:39 PM
Hi I looked online for you on Acers website and they had no mention of parts nor even how to take the laptop apart which didn't surprise me as Acer is bad about giving support information about its products online.
However I do I have good news for you I managed to find the manual for your laptop on Acers website which at least told me the basics and that was very helpful. On your laptop you have an Expresscard slot and you can put an ethernet card into the side of it. This is not wireless but wired just like you like it from Newegg here is the link Newegg.com - BELKIN F5U250 Gigabit Ethernet ExpressCard . Or for a bit cheaper try this usb powered ethernet adapter you have usb 2.0 and this should work fine here is the link for that Newegg.com - TRENDnet TU2-ET100 USB to 10/100Mbps Adapter . This was not the cheapest nor the most expensive and I don't endorse these brands but both of them are good brands. For the expresscard there was only one brand available. For the usb ethernet there were many brands available and a much better option in my opinion than having a technician repair your laptop unless you absolutely feel it must be like new. As for parts if you want to go that route you could find parts for it probably on e-bay and maybe from Acer but at a higher price from Acer. If you buy the parts though don't expect a service technician to want to repair it with your part most don't want to work that way in case something doesn't work right. It is mainly an issue of liability for the repair person. Just taking a guess I would assume a $50.00 diagnosis charge and about another $120.00 or so for the technician to get the part and install it. Some for the part and the rest for labor. Whatever you do I wish you luck and hope you keep the forum posted.

Old 11-17-11, 11:19 PM
Are you sure it is the jack that is damaged and not the clip on the plug? The jack is fairly rugged but the clip on the plug is rather fragile.

Old 11-18-11, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Furd View Post
Are you sure it is the jack that is damaged and not the clip on the plug?
Yeah, unfortunately it's the jack/socket/port (whatever that hole is actually called) that sustained the damage, kind of a freak twisting seemed to have broke off a tiny piece in the upper part of the jack/socket/port. I tried to plug the (known undamaged) other end of the rj45 ethernet cable into it, just to make sure it might not be just plug damage, but no, it's the plug hole.

Old 11-18-11, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by hedgeclippers View Post
try this usb powered ethernet adapter you have usb 2.0 and this should work fine here is the link for that Newegg.com - TRENDnet TU2-ET100 USB to 10/100Mbps Adapter
Thank you very much for all that helpful info hedgeclippers. I didn't even realize they had such a thing as a usb ethernet adapter like that. Looks the way to go for me. One of those should solve my issue just fine, and is a lot less hassle and expense than the idea of the repair I was considering. I'll be ordering one of those doo-hickeys right away.

Old 11-18-11, 10:36 PM
I am glad I could help. I actually knew about those from buying a laptop a few years ago at auction and thought well maybe I can help you and save you money maybe they still make those. I am glad they do and in todays economy you need to save where you can.
One thing I would mention too is that I have found out that the expresscards do tend to heat up at times especially for wireless internet but I don't know about wired so I am glad you showed me you were thinking about the usb powered kind. Well they are sheaper after all and work just as well maybe even better I never have had the opportunity to use one as the one I mentioned that I had picked up at auction with the laptop was broken but not in the connector that holds the wire but the other part. Have a nice Thanksgiving!

Old 11-19-11, 08:37 AM
Best money-saving deal I could find was from an Ebay seller who had the TRENDnet model, new still in the unopened box. Comes with an installation CD and "quick start" instructions. It's on its way via USPS, will be here in a few days. Meanwhile I have my ethernet cable plug rigged into the jack with duct tape. Keeps the connection most of the time, until I move the laptop anyway. Will post back with results of the "quick start" doo-hickey installation. yeah happy Thanksgiving

Old 11-23-11, 08:54 PM
UPDATE; Received TRENDnet doo-hickey today. Happy to report simple and quick suceessful installation (with installation CD) , then plugged it in and it works just fine. Goodbye duct tape.

Old 11-23-11, 09:53 PM
Something needs to be done with these plugs. You are not the first to have this problem. As careful as I was, setting on the corner of the couch next to the wall. One of the kids, still managed to run by and snag my cable. After getting it repaired, I broke the little lock off, so now the cable just pulls out. And if I don't move around to much, it works just fine.

Old 11-23-11, 11:29 PM
Well I tripped over the cable and the damage occured within the plug socket, kind of twisted it and broke a little chunk off the inside. a "freak accident"

Old 11-24-11, 01:06 AM
I once had the same problem but with my VGA. I spoke to a friend of mine, who recommended this website to me:
Adapters and Cables

I purchased 2 adapters, and was charged. At first, I thought it was ok, they were very friendly and helpful, but after 1 week, I still hadn't received it. I contacted them and then they told me it was being shipped from Hong Kong !!

Ok, so finally they took about 3 weeks to get here, but once they got here it was fine they work perfectly and the CS is pretty friendly, so I guess in the end I was quite happy! If you can afford the wait, I would recommend them to you!

Old 11-24-11, 08:31 AM
When I need like adapters and cables and electronic-related parts and gizmos, actually all sorts of stuff, I usually will check Ebay. I've often had very good luck finding what I need from there, at a good low price (using the "buy-it-now" option) and with reasonably fast shipping. This last gizmo I bought from a Ebay seller was brand new in the unopened box, was less expensive than from other big name online sources, included free shipping, and actually was shipped out the very same day I ordered it. And, of course sometimes, if the item is up for bid, if you're willing to wait and play the game, you can ultimately get a better price if you happen to win out on the bidding process, but personally I never go that route (too much trouble, too much waiting, never win).