Scanning a printed page into a workable document?

Old 11-21-11, 05:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Scanning a printed page into a workable document?

Hello all, and thanks for reading.

I have windows 7 64 bit and a scanner/fax/printer. I cannot get the fax to work but the rest of the functions do.

I would like to scan a piece of paper with typed text and be able to edit that on a word program on the computer. Basically, I have pages of information and documents from older computers and files (not saved to any hard drives ) to upload into the computer and to add more to them, page numbers, spell correct, etc.

I have tried scanning on the flat bed, but it will only save the documents as images, which you cannot highlight, select, or spell correct anything. When I open the file in a word program it just loads a bunch of characters and fonts (I think from Windings)

I have a Canon Inkjet MX310, Windows Word, Microsoft Office Word.

Any help is appreciated.
~Son of Willywhy

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-11, 05:51 PM
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
You need an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program. They are often included with scanners. They are not perfect.

Old 11-21-11, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 28 Posts
You need to buy software that will let you do this, like Adobe Acrobat.
I don't think there's any free software out there.

Old 11-21-11, 07:00 PM
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
I just did a Google using free ocr software as the search term. Lots of hits! I didn't check any of them so I don't know what is being offered.

Old 11-21-11, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 161 Votes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
I don't think there's any free software out there.
Google Docs seems to be able to do this if you upload your files to them.

https://docs.google.com/support/bin/...?answer=176692

Old 11-21-11, 10:44 PM
I am not sure but I think I may have solved your problem. I was looking over your post and that of others and noticed Shadeladie had mentioned Adobe Acrobat only the paid version not the free version.
This got me to thinking as I have a Canon scanner and while I haven't used it for a few months know it has an Adobe program that it can use and convert pages into an Adobe pdf file. Checking my item that I scanned into my computer I found that I could copy and paste items if I wanted to or they could be converted into Word or Excel documents online through Adobes website. I would personally prefer to copy and paste myself.
So I checked Canons website and they had the Adobe program online for download from their website. Why they wouldn't have it on the install disk is unknown perhaps the people making the disks forgot it wouldn't be the first time but is unusual for Canon. Anyway here is a link to their download page Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : PIXMA MX310 . They have everything you need there including any drivers you might need. Keep us posted and let us know if you need anymore help. Good luck to you!

Old 11-22-11, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 28 Posts
My printer/scanner installs a program where I can scan it as a document, but I'm not able to edit it well, at least not where it looks like a professional document when I'm done. It just doesn't look quite right in Word.
I've tried free stuff and doesn't do any better.
The best way to edit a document is to scan it as a pdf file and use Acrobat to edit. Actually, I think Adobe has an upload program too. Not sure if it's free or not.

ETA: This has been my experience. There may be something out there that'll work for you and for free.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 11-22-11 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-22-11, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by willywhy View Post
Hello all, and thanks for reading.

I have windows 7 64 bit and a scanner/fax/printer. I cannot get the fax to work but the rest of the functions do.

I would like to scan a piece of paper with typed text and be able to edit that on a word program on the computer. Basically, I have pages of information and documents from older computers and files (not saved to any hard drives ) to upload into the computer and to add more to them, page numbers, spell correct, etc.

I have tried scanning on the flat bed, but it will only save the documents as images, which you cannot highlight, select, or spell correct anything. When I open the file in a word program it just loads a bunch of characters and fonts (I think from Windings)

I have a Canon Inkjet MX310, Windows Word, Microsoft Office Word.

Any help is appreciated.
~Son of Willywhy
willywhy, it has been some time since I used Microsoft Office Word. If it is the same as I remember, it should be able to read your documents from the older computer without all those characters and fonts. You should be able to change it under open doc as, and there should be a whole list of different format, it will use to open. Also my version had a viewer function, you could view the doc without actually opening it first, and if you could read it, you knew you had the right format.

Old 11-22-11, 04:35 PM
thanks

What an amazing response. My Son made the post for me. for years I wanted a simple scan as a document (maybe edit it would be nice). after 29 years at a correctional place there are thousand of pages reports etc. that I must keep. But 30 some boxes is a cluster.So I had hoped to scan and save, BUT NOT AS A windows picture/photo. THANKS "hedgeclippers" for the help AND link. during the next few days I shall work at it... get an O C R program you say! Again thanks to the rest of you. I will get back to you.
Willywhy

Old 11-23-11, 01:20 AM
I am glad I could help Willywhy I only hope the program listed does exactly like you want it to. I know it will scan documents and allow you to copy and paste but not really alow for importation into word or to save as a word document for that as I said Adobe does offer a service to change your document but not for free. Something I forgot to tell you sorry about that my fault. The price was reasonable though at only $19.95 a year if memory serves me right. Of course this goes through their servers and while I am sure they do everything they can to protect your files things can happen.
I looked on PcWorlds website and found some reviews of different programs that looked very promising for the conversion of Adobe to Word documents. I only looked at one review and it said that that particular program was a trial version and to get a really usable program you had to pay $80.00. Kind of high but it might simplify things and the reviewer said that program kept the complete format of the page. So if you needed to edit the page that would be the way to go. However since these are from your previous job I doubt you would want to edit the documents so what Canon offers probably would do the job alone. Of course if you want to add notes then that could be a problem unless they were converted.
A cheaper way though than conversion into Word would be to use your Word program to type out notes and then scan all of the documents into Adobe. A bit more work but it will save you some money too. I think myself that would be the way I would go. At least though you have some options. Oops almost forgot here is the link to that PCWorld page Search: pdf to word converter | PCWorld . Different links to different programs there and I am sure there must be something there you would like.
I also advise you to keep those files on an external hard drive and not your main hard drive as it sounds like you have a great deal of files. I suggest at least one that is 2TB in size that way you should have plenty of room. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving

Old 11-23-11, 05:51 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Scanning

I fail to see the need for the ability to edit an old report. Could you elaborate? Are these legal documents?

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 11-23-11 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Added wording.
Old 11-23-11, 05:03 PM
TO Wirepuller38 & hedgeclippers

Wirepuller38 ; If You wish to help with the original question, needing to know if they are legal documents IS OF NO CONCERN FOR YOU to care about nor does it have anything do with the subject at hand. But thanks for reading and replying. The need to edit SOME documents is mainly poor handwriting, and hard to read copies needing to add notes or what ever. EDITING may be a poor description of my OTHER interests in the program. example ; say I was given something to improve upon such as a layout of landscaping or floor layout, I would like the ability to move an item from top left to middle bottom(as in cut and paste). Or work on a form that is out dated needing to be refreshed etc. etc
TO HEDGERCLIPPERS ....A BIG THANK YOU TO YOU the first link you gave us also had the driver for the printer/fax/copier. I seamed to have misplaced that one (I have disks going back 15 years) the new tower (windows 7) was able to make the basic functions work. We now have the majority of it working. A 2TB size you say L.O.L. My toaster has more Kilo bites than my first computer from R-dio $-ack

Old 11-23-11, 09:37 PM
willywhy, Now this is starting to get really interesting. You said you had disk going back 15 years, and then you mentioned your first computer. These disk you are trying read wouldn't happen to be from that first computer. Some of there earlier computers weren't IBM compatible, they used there own disk operating system. I had some files like this, and ended up using a terminal program, and linking the 2 computer together, and transferring that. But if they happen to be in text doc format, you should be good to go.

Old 11-24-11, 04:40 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Documents

Willywhy, I apologize if I was being too inquisitive. With your added explanation, I see what you are trying to do. It looks to me like XSleeper's suggestion will work.

As has already been mentioned, some early operating systems were not compatable with DOS or Windows. The first PC we bought at my work was built by Texas Instruments and had its own version of DOS. I think it was called PC Dos and would not work with MS DOS.

Good luck with your project.

Old 12-22-11, 10:50 PM
Hi WillyWhy I thought I would post and see how your project is going and also wish you a Merry Christmas. I was especially interested in your post as my grandmother was once a detective for the government. She also had many notes and files going way back that we finally disposed of properly after she passed on. A computer and a scanner would have helped her greatly but she was old fashioned and before she died the personal computer wasn't really there yet anyway. I hope you post back but if you don't have a nice new year!