laptop D "drive" inquiry

Old 11-22-11, 09:54 AM
Received 11 Votes on 10 Posts
laptop D "drive" inquiry

On my Acer laptop, with Vista, I have what's shown in "my computer" as a D drive but in reality I'm pretty sure it's not a physical drive but is instead a factory created partition of the C drive (hard disk) that contains perhaps "recovery files". When I check the D drive's properties, it says "DATA" When I click to open to try to view any of the files in this D drive it says "no folders" or "empty". However, although the D drive is shown with a "capacity" of 50.1 GB, it shows a good chunk of it, about a fourth of it, as "used space" with the remainder being shown as "free space". If in fact there are "recovery files" on the D drive, what would be the reason I cannot view them and when I try to open this D drive it just says "no folders"?

Old 11-22-11, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 240 Posts
You probably need to tell it to "show all hidden files" in Folder Options.
You should find this in Control Panel under Appearance.

Old 11-22-11, 11:59 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The D drive on that machine is a partition of the physical hard drive that houses the original factory operating system, machine drivers, and software that came on the machine. Your Program Files menu should include an Acer utility folder that allows you to reinstall the original system. The unused space on that D drive is used to store temporary files during the reinstallation process.

I wouldn't mess with it or worry about it. If your C drive is getting full, consider adding an external USB drive to hold the additional stuff.

If you decide to make use of the reinstallation utility, back up all of your data files and programs. There is a very good chance that they will be deleted.

Old 11-22-11, 12:39 PM
What I'm considering doing is making a backup image file of the entire system, including OS, for the case of when the hard drive should fail. I'd like to be able to restore the system back to the good working state just previous to the hard drive failure. The idea of restoring the machine back to the original factory state (of many years ago) does not appeal to me at all. So I think I'd like to backup to an external USB drive but I don't know what size to get. The laptop is apparently a "2 GB" (according to its system information but as I mentioned on the "D drive" (partition) properties it says there's a capacity of 50.1 GB and on it, and the C drive properties says 50.9 GB capacity. That in itself confuses me, and any clarification or comments along those lines would be appreciated. thanks

Old 11-22-11, 12:51 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,165 Votes on 1,123 Posts
Maybe it's 2 GB RAM, a 2 GB harddrive on a Vista machine seems unlikely. That said, C and D drives both around 50 GB also seems unusual, I would have expected the D partition to be smaller (like maybe 10 GB).

Old 11-22-11, 01:02 PM
Yes, likely then its 2 GB RAM. I'm not at the machine now but I seem to distinctly recall the 50 GB capacities as I mentioned for the C and D drive. I could double check later on, but in the case where those capacities are indeed what's there, what is an appropriate size external USB drive to which I might try to image the system as I mentioned?

Old 11-22-11, 06:11 PM
On double checking, the C drive total space is 51.1 GB, and the D drive total space is 50.8GB. And I discovered the advertised size of the hard drive for the laptop is 120 GB. So that I don't understand either. 50.8 plus 51.1 equals 101.9. If my hard drive is supposedly 120 GB where are the remaining GB? Also, would a 250 GB size USB hard disk to image backup the system be appropriate, considering I don't save much graphical stuff, photos, or any video?

Last edited by sgull; 11-22-11 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-23-11, 04:23 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It's common for the system to report significantly less space on a hard drive than the claimed physical size of the drive. One reason is the way the size is calculated. Drive manufacturers calculate a gigabyte as 1,000 megabytes. Computers calculate it based on 1024 megabytes. The rest of the discrepancy could be a recycle bin and other hidden files.

In any case, a 250 GB external drive will hold about twice as much data as the laptop's drive so it should be plenty.

Old 11-23-11, 05:48 AM
W
Received 51 Votes on 46 Posts
Drive Space

With XP OS I can select "c drive", select "file", and select "properties" to see the file space info for c drive. This also works for d drive. I expect you can do a similar procedure with Vista.

Old 11-23-11, 05:55 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,165 Votes on 1,123 Posts
I have a few external USB hard drives and the smallest one is 500 GB, these things are getting pretty cheap. As Rick said, 250 GB is more than enough to copy your whole system.

Old 11-23-11, 06:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
I think the last external USB powered hard drive I bought was 1.5tb and it was less than $100. It has the capacity to back up several computers.

Old 11-23-11, 10:10 AM
Thank you for all the helpful replies here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: