upgrading wireless router

Old 11-26-11, 07:06 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
upgrading wireless router

I am upgrading our wireless router this holiday season.
I currently use a LINKSYS WRT54g (several years old).

I want to upgrade to a router that is faster and has more range.
My children use more and more wireless devices and we need the capacity/speed.
Suggestions?

Old 11-26-11, 07:32 PM
H
There are a great many routers out there and so many different hookups for the different models that it is hard to start to give you advice either from me or someone else who sees this post.
So I need to ask you a question do you have Verizon Fios or Comcast Xfinity or the equivalent? This will help me and others in advising you.
If you have either Comcast Xfinity or Verizon Fios I suggest you look on their websites as they have different models of routers that you can select from that they include with their service and might or might not charge for an upgrade, I really can't say as I have never upgraded my router with Verizon Fios since they installed my Fios service.

Old 11-27-11, 03:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Just another opinion. I upgraded to a Netgear Nano, and it has a little more range and power than the old Linksys I had. It is advertised to be 10x more powerful and have 10x more range. Hogwash. You get better, but not 10x, OK?

Old 11-27-11, 11:48 AM
Judging that you have a wrt54g I'm guessing a traditional router will be sufficient. Second, this is a very customizable router, so I recommend as long as it still works you hang onto it as a backup. If you feel experimental, once you have your new router try throwing DD-WRT onto the wrt54g an play around with it. Third, what price range are you willing to spend? This has a large influence on what your options are. I can look through newegg and give some suggestions when I know this information.

Old 11-27-11, 06:16 PM
U
You should get a wireless N router they have more speed and longer range then Wireless G which you have know I personally like Cisco routers and have had good luck with them.

If your connection isn't providing enough bandwidth for everyone you might consider calling your ISP and asking for a higher speed data package. It's also worth noting though that just upgrading your router doesn't mean your going to get more speed if the clients meaning your network devices like computers, Xbox's, Tablets don't have a wireless N adapter in them there not really going to run any faster then if they were connected to your wireless G router.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: