Power Supply Advice Wanted

Old 11-27-11, 08:28 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Power Supply Advice Wanted

Hi Many of you have read my posts over time about me wanting to get together a computer so I could watch tv shows on it. Well I didn't get real close to finishing until now because things got in the way. Anyway at first it started out with me thinking I would use an HP case and now I am using and HEC mid tower case which is brand new.
My main concern is having enough power to be able to run everything including the new motherboard and all peripherals. Things I will be running a Blu-Ray burner and one SATA hard drive for now but I may be running more than one as I have a tv card and a firewire card and will have a wireless internet wifi card. I am going to include a link to the case so that others can look at the case and give me better input here is the link Newegg.com - HEC 6XR8 Black 0.8mm Thickness SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case . The case has two 120mm fans one in the front and one in the rear with a funneled side vent which I suppose could have a fan added or should I leave it as is?
Right now in a previous build I have an Antec BP550 550 watt modular power supply and I am quite happy with that and will probably go modular again as it keeps away wires I don't need. So my question is do you think in your opinion that I should stay with the 550 watt power supply or bump it up a bit? Almost forgot I might add a diskette drive even though they are not used very often now. Thanks for your help!

Old 11-28-11, 05:02 AM
U
Can you list the Specs on your computer?

550 watts should be enough since tv tunners and blueray drives and wifi cards really don't use a lot of power.

What type of video card do you have because some of the high end ones can use a lot of power.

As for the 120mm fans that's really up to you whether or not to install them in your case. Its sounds like this computer probably isn't going to make a lot of heat so I doubt not installing them will hurt the computer although installing them probably won't hurt it either. Just make sure if you install some fans make sure some are blowing in the case and some are blowing out to get good airflow through the case.

Old 11-28-11, 09:24 PM
H
Sorry about that I should have included the specifications I will have an Asus M4A785-M motherboard and an AMD PhenomII processor complete specifications can be found here ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS M4A785-M . To summarize it will have four 2.0 USB ports for connecting various things two usb ports for a mouse and keyboard which will be wireless since this will be connected to our living room tv. Which leads me to the one hdmi port and several audio connections on the outside. On the inside there are several sata ports and several usb ports to connect various things including a new card reader I am going to buy so we can look at various pictures over time. Other than the one blu ray drive the card reader will be the only thing in the large bay with perhaps up to three or maybe even four hard drives at some point as I hear keeping video files takes up space on the hard drive. I will see how much of that I will do though first and I think start out with a 2tb hard drive at first. Memory will be Kingston 2gb. Thanks for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: