mic picks up tapping noise but no voice

Old 11-28-11, 05:09 AM
L
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
mic picks up tapping noise but no voice

i have a cordless phone that doesnt transmit my voice but the other party can hear if i tap the mic ...also tried blowing across the mic and no one can hear it. took phone apart and same thing. the mic looks soldered on there in a way such that if i even got a new one, i dont think i could replace it.

but why would it pick up tapping but not voice?

Old 11-28-11, 09:33 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not sure really the only thing I can think of would be a bad pick up coil the other party would be able to probably hear tapping but not your voice. I haven't worked much on phones though and they are not my specialty. I remember seeing another area here though that does have some retired telephone people. I think though they would tell you to throw the phone out though as most of those phones are just not worth repairing. Good luck to you!

Old 11-29-11, 03:09 AM
L
i just hate ditching a 170 dollar phone

Old 11-29-11, 06:03 AM
B
Received 42 Votes on 38 Posts
I tend to agree with hedgeclippers. A mic converts a mechanical process into an electrical signal. Tapping on it would be a mechanical input far greater than sound waves and is thus able to shake things up enough to generate a pulse. Does the phone have any type of replacement policy?

Bud

Old 11-29-11, 06:26 AM
L
i doubt after all these years ...5 to 10...they would do anything but i started digging around and someone on ebay has this phone thats been in storage for years but supposedly never used and i may spend the 25 bucks on it for the fun of it. it took me a long time to find a phone i liked and if i can mate up this 'new' set to my old base, or even just use the 'new' base he sends me, it's worth 25 bucks to me

in fairness i guess i should look around at new phones though but i'm very demanding with voice quality and features so unsure whats around these days. but i do know the 2.4 may be interfering with my router so i have a decision to make

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: