Transfer Info

Old 12-04-11, 09:54 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Transfer Info

Being somewhat tech challenged, I'm going to purchase a new desktop and I'm wondering if it's hard to transfer my old programs and files to the new computer. Or should I pay for the service?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-11, 09:57 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No actually it isn't real hard are you on a network at home? If you are I have transferred files between my different computers. If not on a network do you have an external hard drive? If not why not consider buying one to use for backup purposes you could then copy your files onto the external hard drive. You could also use a cd-rw drive and copy your files that way or use a cable between the two computers for copying purposes. I have never used a cable like that though so I can't advise you on how to use it but have seen them available for sale online.
As for programs I would use the original disks for word processor programs or other things like that but watch out though where printers or scanners are concerned as the older printers just will not work with Windows 7 so consider either buying a new printer or scanner or getting updated software. You can find out about compatible hardware and software for windows 7 by going here Windows 7 Compatibility: Software Programs & Hardware Devices: Find Updates, Drivers, & Downloads . Good luck to you with your new computer!

Old 12-05-11, 11:38 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 82 Posts
I use an external HD for backup - all you do is hook it up to the new one and move the files over.

Programs typically need to be redownloaded or reloaded from the original media.