Wireless & Wired network recognition problem

Old 12-04-11, 12:11 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wireless & Wired network recognition problem

I replaced my LINKSYS 4 port ether-net router with a D-Link 4 10/100 ether net ports and 1 wireless port router (DIR-601). I have 3 computers, 1 Windows XP, 1 Vista, and 1 Windows 7. With the old network, all computers could see each other, access files, and use any peripheral. I don't know what changed, but now, the Vista and the XP can see and access the 7, but the 7 can't access Vista or XP. The XP can't see or access the Vista. I have made the Vista a private network, and the 7 is a home network. All computers see the same workgroup name. All can access the internet fine. This is through a Seimans Speedstream 4100. D-Link support mentioned IP addresses on the computers. Can you offer any suggestions as to how I can get my network straightened out? Also, can only one computer use the wireless port at a time?

Old 12-04-11, 06:27 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not sure if I can help as I am kind of new to networking too within a little over two years. I did learn something though and that was that I could see my Windows 7 desktop computer with my Windows XP latptop but I couldn't access my desktop through my Verizon Fios Antec router. So I thought whats going on why is this not working? So I got to thinking about it and finally thought I need to use my desktops password. I don't remember having to have to do that with Windows XP but sure needed to do that with my new desktop. So I would try password permission between your different computers. With your laptop though I wouldn't have Windows save your passwords in case it gets stolen. As to only one wireless device being able to work through your router at a time don't worry about that I have had two laptops on at once while updating them and both were on the wireless network. Usually as I understand it as far as IP adresses are concerned the router controls your IP address but you can also be generating a IP address from your laptop although not always sometimes I think it is just a MAC address but I am not an expert on that and could be wrong. Rick Johnston or Spikester would know more about that than me. Hopefully though what little advice I could give you will help. I wish you luck with your network!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: