HP dv6000

Old 12-14-11, 10:01 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HP dv6000

I have a HP DV6000 laptop computer and cannot get it to connect to the internet. It has a wiifi card in it. There is a switch on the front to turn the wiifi on and off. It has an amber light that is supposed to turn blue when connected to the net. Any help would be appreciated. I have installed the drivers several times.

Old 12-14-11, 10:08 AM
M
If the computer cannot connect to a wireless network:
1. Verify that the wireless devices are enabled.
● Be sure that the wireless light on the computer is on. If the light is off, press the wireless button
to turn it on.

● Be sure that the wireless hardware is properly installed by ensuring there is no red or yellow
marking next to the device name in Device Manager.
a. Select Start > My Computer.
b. Right-click in the window and select Properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager.

NOTE If the wireless button is off or the Bluetooth or WWAN device is disabled in
Computer Setup, the Bluetooth or WWAN device will not appear in Device Manager.

● Open Wireless Assistant and be sure that the wireless devices are enabled and on. Select
Start > HP Info Center > HP Wireless Assistant.

● Be sure that the wireless devices are enabled in Computer Setup or the Setup utility.
a. Open Computer Setup or the Setup utility by turning on or restarting the computer, and
then pressing f10 while the “F10 = ROM Based Setup” message or the “Press <F10> to
enter setup” message is displayed in the lower-left corner of the screen.

b. Use the arrow keys to select Advanced > Device options or Advanced and then press
enter.

2. Be sure that the Windows Wireless Network Connection window can display the network.

● Click the Refresh button so that Windows will scan all channels for available access points.

● Be sure that the computer is within optimal range of the wireless router (access point).

● Be sure that the computer wireless antennae are free from obstructions.

6 Chapter 1 Quick checklist

● If the Wireless Network Connection window displays the “Windows cannot configure this
wireless connection” message, or the Wireless Networks tab is inaccessible or missing from
the Wireless Network Connection Properties window, check to see if a third-party utility has
been installed. Most third-party configuration utilities disable the Windows configuration utility.
If a third-party utility has been installed, configure the wireless network using the third-party
utility, or uninstall the third-party utility and use the Windows configuration utility to configure
the wireless network.

● Be sure that the wireless network is broadcasting the network name (SSID). Most wireless
routers (access points) are set to broadcast SSID by default. If SSID broadcasting was
disabled for added security, reenable it temporarily to confirm that Windows is detecting the
network. When SSID broadcasting is disabled, the network will not be detected by Windows
and will not be displayed in the list of available networks.

3. Verify that the encryption settings are correct by ensuring that the computer and the wireless router (access point) are using the same security settings.

4. Be sure that you are getting a valid IP address.

● Be sure the computer TCP/IP is configured to Obtain an IP address automatically:
a. Select Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network
Connections.

b. Right-click on a network connection and select Properties.
c. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
d. Be sure that Obtain an IP address automatically is selected.
e. Click OK.

● Be sure that the wireless router (access point) has DHCP enabled.

● Use the ipconfig utility to renew an IP address.
Select Start > Run.
Type cmd.
At the prompt, type ipconfig, and then press enter.
To renew an IP address, type ipconfig/release, and then press enter. Then type
ipconfig/renew, and then press enter.
Type exit.

5. Be sure that you have the latest firmware for the wireless router (access point).

6. Be sure that the wireless router (access point) activity light is on. If the activity light is not on, unplug the router power cable and then plug it back in.

7. Be sure that no other electronics, such as a cordless phone, a fax machine, or a microwave, are
in close proximity to the wireless router (access point).

8. Be sure that no large metal surfaces are near the sides of the wireless router (access point).

9. Be sure that the wireless router (access point) is placed as high as possible in the room, such as
on top of a bookcase.

10. Check the wireless router (access point) functionality and configuration.

● Temporarily disable any wireless encryption to see if the computer will connect to the wireless
network. If the computer connects to the wireless network when encryption is disabled, verify
that the computer and the wireless router (access point) are using the same security settings
(Network Authentication, Data Encryption, Network Key, and Key Index).

● Change the wireless channel on the wireless router (access point). Normally channels 3, 6,
and 11 are the optimal channels because they do not overlap each other. However, if multiple
networks are detected in close proximity, and more than one is using the same channel, there
may be interference.

Last edited by mpgrunt; 12-14-11 at 10:12 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 12-14-11, 11:46 AM
D
I cannot get the blue light to light. Whatever position the switch is in, the light remains amber showing the wiifi is off. Maybe the wiifi card is not working. I don't see the card listed in device manager.

Old 12-14-11, 12:00 PM
M
Originally Posted by dsawyer View Post
I cannot get the blue light to light. Whatever position the switch is in, the light remains amber showing the wiifi is off. Maybe the wiifi card is not working. I don't see the
card listed in device manager.
Try this
It's HP's crappy motherboard. In almost every instance where the wireless isn't working I just reboot and hit F10 to enter SETUP. Scroll across to EXIT. Tab F9 LOAD SETUP DEFAULTS then F10 EXIT SAVING CHANGES. In every case the wireless should be detected and light should turn blue. Now why this works I have no clue. Maybe it gives the board time to heat up or enough time for all devices to initialize and be detected by this sleepy motherboard.

Also turn off all <go to sleep> options.

Jason

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: