Move Directories

Old 12-17-11, 06:00 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Move Directories

Under my C:\ drive I have the sub directory “Utilities” where I keep various programs (approx 31 directories) and some of these directories have more subdirectories with additional programs.

My Habits have changed and I would like to transfer all the programs from the “Utilities” directory to the “Program Files” directory. My OS is Vista Home Premium

This is a big job to uninstall and re install each program and I wonder if there is any utility out there which will uninstall a program and transfer it to another directory including the required entries in the registry and the start menu.

Old 12-17-11, 07:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
You can move the programs anyplace you want without uninstalling them and reinstalling them. All you have to do is to point the shortcut to the executable file.

For example:
Right now your program X is c:\utilities\program x\program x exe
you will just need to point all shortcuts/start menu items to c:\program files\program x\program x exe

Most cases, after you move the program, you click on a short cut and windows can't fine the exe file for the program you can just browse to the exe then.

Somebody else likely will have a better solution but this is a down and dirty one.

Old 12-17-11, 08:33 AM
I don't think this will work Tolyn

It may work for small programs which don't write info into the registry but in any case if I do what you say, the executable will search for the required DLL's and other info and it will give an error if it can't find them.

I wonder if Cut / Paste a folder will work (I mean if it will change any registry entries at the same time)

Old 12-17-11, 09:21 AM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Microsoft Instructions

This looks easy enough:

Working with files and folders

Old 12-17-11, 10:03 AM
Read the article and sounds pretty good

I will give it a try

Thanks

Old 12-17-11, 10:15 AM
Sorry, it works for small programs but for others (I guess if the installation included registry entries) did not work

I get the message "Moving programs may make some not working, are you sure you want to move this directory?"

Even if I click Yes, still it doesn't move the directory

So I guess the best is to uninstall and re install

Old 12-17-11, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Out of curiosity, what do you mean your habits have changed and you need to move the directories? The answer to this question will decide what options we have.

Old 12-17-11, 05:46 PM
I like to keep my directories organized and years ago I made sub directories under the directory “Utility” like for system utilities, DVD utilities, graphics utilities, workshop utilities and a lot of other categories.

However over the years, quite a few programs they don’t provide the option to change the install directory during the installation process and therefore now I have a lot of utilities in the program files directory and don’t like that.

Another reason I want to keep all my utilities under one directory is that I back up often this directory because the program files directory where mainly are system files I do it once or twice per year.

I try to define a new way on where to keep all my utilities and right now I don’t quite know what will be the best for my needs. Perhaps it will be the best to move all into the program files directory and during the back up I just select the directories I want to back up; but this method may lead to errors.

Old 12-18-11, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Probably the best method for this would be to uninstall the programs and reinstall them to the program files directory. The other option I was thinking of was just creating shortcuts in the start menu for the utilities. However, regarding the backups, this would not backup the utilities themselves.

Old 12-19-11, 05:02 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
App Mover gives you 10 moves for free before the $15 nag screen kicks in. Be sure to click only on the "Download Now" button for the app and not on one of those ridiculous scan scam ads.

Application Mover - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Old 12-19-11, 07:07 AM
The App.Mover utility looks a pretty good one Rick, thanks

Since I didn't try it, I don't know how good of a job it does because moving programs is a tedious job especially large programs which put a foot print in the registry.

I already started moving my programs and I guess I will stick to my method which is copy the install file to a new location, uninstall the program and then re install it.

Even with this method, I don't know why but on some programs I still have to edit the registry to change the files path. I think the uninstall process doesn't remove the registry entries on these programs and when I reinstall the program uses the old entries

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: