new pc nightmares

Old 12-26-11, 04:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
new pc nightmares

My wife bought me a new pc for Christmas. It's a Dell Inspirion One with windows 7. She paid way too much for it [$800] but she won't return it so to keep peace I need to use it.

The biggest issue is the print size. I can't figure out how to increase the print where i can see it. Currently the print is less than 1/4" tall. The only thing I've found to increase the size is the magnifier and if you click it once the print changes to 1" tall and only a portion of the page is shown. I could read the type of my old 17" CRT but can barely see it on this 21.5" LCD

The other big thing is it didn't come with a window 7 disc. It says it is licensed to this pc only and is not warranted by Dell and if the software quits working you need to buy a new one Is there anyway to get the window 7 onto a cd in case it's needed in the future? and how do you get the validation key?

Last edited by marksr; 12-26-11 at 07:35 AM. Reason: fix all the typos now that I can see them
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-11, 05:27 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Print Size

Hold down the control key and tap the + key to increase print size. Control with the minus key decreases print size.

I think you can get a recovery disk from Dell. If you have to use a recovery disk to re-install Windows, the hard drive gets wiped clean so you lose any files saved on the disk.

Good luck with your new toy.

Old 12-26-11, 06:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can also try changing the screen resolution to make the entire screen look bigger.

This link is a tutorial from Microsoft:
Change your screen resolution

Old 12-26-11, 06:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
I would think there would be a process built in which would allow you to create recovery disks as well.

Old 12-26-11, 07:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
Hold down the control key and tap the + key to increase print size.

Thanks Ken!!! Now I can see the print
Because this new computer doesn't have a tower it has to sit in the corner [until I get an extension cable] and twisting and turning to see what's on the screen was really killing my back and neck

Now that i can see, maybe I can figure out the rest, thanks guys

Old 12-26-11, 11:44 AM
It is indeed necessary to make youir recovery disc right off the bat. Computers are no longer shipped with recovery discs. You will need a couple of DVD's and I am sure your new Inspiron came with a DVD writer.

Here's how to create that much needed recovery disc from Dell.

Creating Your System Recovery Discs with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 | Dell UK

Good luck with that new Dell. That is a pretty nice computer

bs5

Old 12-26-11, 12:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I made the recovery disk but as far as I know it all fit on one 700 mb disk. It only took a few minutes and when it was done it had a message to label the disk as a 'repair disk, windows 7, 64 bit'

While Ken's tip works great, I do think I'll need to reset the resolution because the address bar still has print that is only about 1/8" high

Old 12-26-11, 12:20 PM
Group Moderator
I was going to suggest a different monitor but it looks like the monitor is the PC on this one so the resolution is probably your best bet.

Old 12-26-11, 12:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, it's totally different than my old pc. I hope I can get used to the keyboard, it's very uncomfortable and I keep hitting the wrong buttons. I thought about using my old keyboard but there is no plug ins configured to accept it, same thing with my old mouse

Old 12-26-11, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
New ones USB and the old ones PS2? You could probably buy a new keyboard and mouse like your old ones (with the connections to match your new ones) but probably best to try to get used to the new ones first.

Old 12-26-11, 12:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I'm sure I'll get used to the changes but you know what they say about 'old dogs' and 'new tricks'

Old 12-26-11, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yeah...some times you have to beat the dog with a hose to get him to listen.

JUST KIDDING fer Gawds Sake...I like dogs....other peoples dogs....same as with kids.

Old 12-26-11, 09:01 PM
I understand some of your frustrations with Windows 7 Marksr I have had a few frustrations with it myself like AVG conflicting with my mouse and keyboard and everything freezing until I removed AVG which wasn't easy even in safe mode but at least possible. Then too web pages are fine at 100% with Windows XP even with my old eyes but with Windows 7 forget about it I had to put everything at 125% with Internet Explorer. I also can't see this website right with Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 9 as the ads on the side blend in with the posts and you can't see the posts correctly. On this website I use Firefox all of the time on both my Windows XP computers and my one Windows 7 computer. Windows 7 though does have its good points as it seems to have a better firewall than what Windows XP had and with a newer processor and Windows 7 64 bit it seems to respond a great deal faster especially at start up. I would definitely ask for a Windows 7 disk from Dell though as you never know when you might have to erase the hard drive due to a virus. I am glad to read too that you were able to make a drivers disk but agree with you Dell really should have already supplied a disk. I guess their way of justifying it is well everybody does this now but it doesn't make it right. Still though Dell is my preferred brand over any other brand because of the service they provide and the information they provide about their products.

Old 12-27-11, 06:09 AM
I agree with Hedgeclippers about AVG antivirus. The newer programs have become very difficult to remove or reinstall. I have been using the Microsoft Security Essentials which is free and is easy to use. So far I have not received any of the nagging to constantly update as it seemed we used to get from some of the other free antivirus programs like AVG.

Dell's are indeed a fine computer and it is really quite easy to restore to the day it was received. For that process, one can do so without a windows disc using a repair partition right on the hardrive. I think they now include Symantec software that restores user data as well.

As somebody pointed out, you still need a recovery disc. Dell provides a utility that makes one which indeed includes drivers and operating system and original programs from Dell. Every thing but user data which of course needs to be backed up by user. You can also perform this repair right off the hard drive partition included in the operating system and you don't need the disc to do it. It is a protected partition separate from any partition Windows would provide if you need to clean boot (reformat and Install Windows 7).

It is still a wise thing to make a copy of the disc from the Dell recovery partition included with every new Dell. The reason: Because what would happen if the hard drive goes bad. Then the partition reserved for repair is useless because you get a new HD you need to start from scratch. You have to operate like we used to and boot from disc and format and then reinstall Windows 7, user programs, and drivers plus user data. The disc you are making when you get a new computer from Dell does it all.

note: You get the latest Dell drivers at the time the repair partition was put together by Dell. They are basic. It is always a good idea to get basic drivers and then go to Dell's driver download page and see if you need updating.

Here is Dell's repair page providing their take. The first item only talks about system restore within Windows. I'm not talking about that rather discussing the second and third choices:

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft Windows on a Dell Computer | Dell

Driver support

Drivers and Downloads | Dell [United States]

KEYBOARD

You might want to consider a wifi combination kit to that nice laptop which includes handheld mouse and regular sized keyboard availible at any computer supply facility

bs5

Old 12-27-11, 06:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is still a wise thing to make a copy of the disc from the Dell recovery partition included with every new Dell.
Is that the same as the repair disk I made?

Old 12-27-11, 07:00 AM
Group Moderator
Nope - you made a CD, this would be a copy right on the internal hard drive of the computer.

Old 12-27-11, 02:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great, that means I've got another something new to figure out

But, since I've gotten the type size and resolution straightened out - its really easy to read now

Old 01-01-12, 07:00 AM
Make sure you buy the extended warranty on that computer.

I work on dell's all day long. Their all in one solutions have the highest ever failure rate!!

One family I work for went with one, only for it to have video issues. Both the second and third replacement also did the same thing, all at about the 2 month mark.

They gave up on it, got a refund for it + their extended warranty and went Mac.

Old 01-01-12, 03:00 PM
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
The recovery disk procedure may be separate from the repair disk procedure. Usually there are several disks made when you go through the recovery disk procedure.