Connections for and ethernet router and a wireless router

Old 12-31-11, 02:28 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connections for and ethernet router and a wireless router

I would like to know if I can use both an ethernet LAN router and also a wireless router in the same system. My house is wired with ethernet cable throughout, but all come to one location, the mechanical room. I have a Linksys 4 port ethernet router and it worked fine. However, I need to add wireless since Santa brought an Ipad, and guests want to connect to the internet. I replaced the Linksys router with a D-link 615 wireless router that also has 4 ethernet ports. The ethernet works fine, but the wireless signal is very weak where I need it. The mechanical room has a HVAC air handler with a lot of duct work, and is on the lower floor and oposit end of the house. My question is, can I put the Linksys router back for the ethernet network and move the D-Link router to a different location and only plug the DSL phone line into it and us it for wireless only? Do I have to do any special setup options to make this system work? What does a computer do when it is connected to both an ethernet and a wireless port?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-11, 03:14 PM
D
you can but you need to disable dhcp on one of the routers, and on the router that you disabled dhcp on you need to enter the IP address of the other router in for the Gateway address.

Is your dsl modem in the mechanical room. Or is it located somewhere else with a cable connecting to the router in the mechanical room.

Id put the Linksys router in the mechanical room with the uplink from the DSL modem, and put the wireless router somewhere in the house connected to one of the ports on the linksys router. Turn off DHCP on the wireless router and put the IP address of the Linksys router in for the Gateway address on the wireless router. Give the wireless router a static IP (of course not the same IP as the linksys router), outside the DHCP range.

If the DSL modem is near the wireless router you can plug the cable from the modem into the wireless router "internet" port, and then plug the cable going to the linksys router in the mechanical room to 1 of the 4 lan ports on the D-Link. In this case, on the Linksys router, I would turn off DHCP and put the IP of the D-Link in for the gateway. Give the linksys a static IP outside the DHCP range.

Computer doesn't really care if its connected to the same network using both the wired and wireless connections. Same computer just gets 2 separate IPs.

Old 12-31-11, 03:38 PM
J
This sounds like a workable plan. My DSl modem is in the mechanical room, and it is was plugged into the Linksys in the internet port. On the D-Link wireless router, do I plug the ethernet cable from the Linksys ethernet port into the internet port or just one of the 4 ethernet ports? I now access the setup for the D-Link router through the internet address 198.162.0.1. If I put the Linksys router back in the system, and move the D-Link router, do I still access the setup the same way? I am assuming that this is the IP address that I will need to change. Is that correct? This is a lot of questions, but this stuff is still confusing to me. Thanks for your help.

Old 12-31-11, 05:52 PM
D
Plug it into the Lan port

What version D-Link router do you have?

I would hook up the linksys and see what IP address that has. Don't hook up the D-Link in case it uses the same IP as the Linksys. If it is the same leave the linksys as is and change the IP of the D-Link, making sure its in the same range.

For Example:
Say the Linksys IP is 192.168.0.1, set the D-Links IP to 192.168.0.10 and its gateway address to 192.168.0.1 and disable DHCP.

Page 10 of the manual explains step by step what you need to do. If this is the version you have.
D-Link Wireless N 300 Router

I have a similar setup at my house, I have a wireless cable modem and a wireless router. Since I did not need two wireless signals I disabled the wireless on the router and am just using it as a wired router as it has 4 ethernet ports. On the router I disabled DHCP and entered in the IP of the wireless cable modem in for the gateway. My modem hands out IP addresses to computer, etc. The router is just being used as a ethernet switch. My modem is a Motorola and the router is a linksys (3rd party firmware).

Old 01-01-12, 09:37 AM
D
As far I know it is not really necessary to disable the DHCP on one router. I have two routers configured similar to drummin89's setup except both have DHCP enabled. Of course, computers connected to one router cannot see ones connected to the other (at least, I haven't figured a way yet to do that and this also depends on the networking configuration on the computers) but all connect to the internet fine.

Old 01-01-12, 01:47 PM
J
My D-Link router is the DIR-615. I also happen to have a DIR-601 in addidtion to the Linksys Etherfast cable/dsl router with 4 port switch. The linksys router must be about 10 years old, and unfortunately, I have misplaced the directions and the installation disk. I hope I can just plug it back in and all will work. If not, I can use the 601 as it also has 4 ethernet ports on it if I can disable the wireless part. By the way, how do I find the linksys IP address if it does work?

I do like to see all my computers when I look at the network, and I was not able to do so for the one using Windows XP. Fortunately, there is a fix for this on the XP website. After I downloaded and installed it, all worked fine. The two other computers (one Vista, and one 7) did not need the fix. Once I get the wireless router back up, I will disable the DHCP.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and help.

Old 01-02-12, 06:33 AM
D
you should be able to get the instructions on linksys website.

If you haven't changed anything on the linksys since you got it, looking at the instructions for my linksys router the default IP was 192.168.1.1

The default password if you did not change it might be admin (only enter this in the password field, leave username field blank).

Old 01-05-12, 03:30 PM
J
OK, I'm getting close, but I need a little more guidance. The Linksys router is reinstalled and working fine. Its IP is 192.168.1.1. I have done the steps beginning on page 10 through 4. However, I can't seem to find the right IP address for step 5. I tried 192.168.1.10 which seemed to really confuse the D-Link router. I had to reset the router to get into the setup system. I tried 192.198.0.1 which is the D-Link default. This seemed to mess up the Linksys and none of my computers would connect to the internet. When I took the D-link completely down (unpluged it) the Linksys worked fine again. I have also tried 192.168.0.49. This did not seem to work either. In most cases, the wireless network part is working and will map. It is the internet connection. I can't find anything labeled "gateway" in the D-Link setup system, and I am assuming that the correct IP would be 192.168.1.1. Step 5 mentions a "subnet mask". What is this in the setup system? I thnk I am very close, but just need one or two tweeks.

Old 01-05-12, 04:09 PM
D
When you set the linksys to 192.168.0.1 what did you set the D-Link to.

I would unhook the routers from each other, log into the D-Link router and change the IP to 192.168.0.2 and leave the subnet as 255.255.255.0

Log into the Linksys and change its IP to 192.168.0.1 and subnet as 255.255.255.0

Are your computers all set to DHCP or do they have static address (manually entered)?

Old 01-05-12, 04:32 PM
J
The Linksys is set to 192.168.1.1 which is its default. I have been changing only the D-Link to the various other router IP addresses. Since the Linksys is functioning correctly at the 192.168.1.1, I am a little reticent to change it. Does the D-Link router actually become just another IP address for the Linksys router? All computers and Ipad are DHCP. The D-Link instructions for setting up the D-Link to connect to another router say to enter an available IP address and to enter the "subnet mask" of my network. I have not messed with the subnet of the D-Link nor the Linksys. Is the subnet the "gateway"? There is something called the primary DNS and the secondary DNS for the D-Link which look like IP addresses.

Old 01-06-12, 06:22 AM
D
The IP for the D-Link needs to have the first 3 sets of numbers the same as the linksys. So...

Linksys 192.168.1.1
D-Link 192.168.1.2

Subnet needs to be 255.255.255.0 on both

Also look on the linksys setup and see what range is defined for the DHCP server. It could be something else on your network has the same IP that you are trying to assign to the D-Link.

For example I have my network setup so the DHCP server only hands out addresses between 192.168.0.130 thru .254

Anything that I have setup with a static IP gets an address between 192.168.0.2 thru .129

Also make sure you don't plug the cable uplinking from the linksys into the Internet port on the D-Link.

From reading the instructions you shouldn't need to worry about the gateway.

On my second router (being used just as a switch, no wireless and DHCP disabled) I manually entered in the DNS addresses from what was shown on my primary router.

Old 01-06-12, 03:46 PM
J
SUCCESS!!! Thank you for all your help and comments. Once I changed the D-Link to the IP address 192.168.1.2, all worked well. I checked the Linksys and it uses 100 though 149 for its DHCP addresses.

I will share though that when I first put the D-Link back in service, I could get the network, but no internet. I looked and looked, but to no avail. Finally I went into the cabinet with the Linksys router and discovered that I had disconnected the cable to the D-Link. It is interesting that you can't connect to the internet unless all of the cables are plugged in.

At any rate, thanks again.

Old 01-06-12, 04:33 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
It is interesting that you can't connect to the internet unless all of the cables are plugged in.
It is heartening to know that people other than myself make these same silly mistakes.

Old 01-06-12, 05:15 PM
D
Glad I could help!!!!!!!!